old troybilt chipper/shreader

doghouse2010May 6, 2010

I own a 1989 8hp tomahawk chipper/shreader and I'am looking for a belt for it. the model number is(15014) serial number is(W840359) and part number is (W5L290SPL). this info all comes from the original manual,would appreciate any help I could get. Thank You:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

Don't know what yr model mine is. I just bought it last weekend and it had a belt that was waaay too narrow. Tried a B-27 power transmission belt from my local brg and v belt store. It worked OK for a little while and shredded. I think it was a little too long and overheated due to the backwards wrap around the clutch idler pulley. I got a B-26 this time and it seems to be holding up well.
HTH,
Mike

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 4:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
captturbo

You can match up the belt at an auto parts store if ypou happen to have have the correct old one.

What I did was to go on ebay and look up chipper /shredder / mulchers and found a couple venders who sell the belt we need. It cost me about 15.00 for the belt and I bought new flails and chipping blade while I was at it. I love these old machines (I use mine several times a week) and I'm glad that the parts we need are still available.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Smoky 8 horse Kohler
I recently got an old Troy Bilt Horse with the K181...
snuffyinatl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™