Anyone ever use a Barreto Tiller

aesanders(8b Alachua, FL)May 31, 2005

I'm in the market for a new large tiller. Have looked at BCS and they seems well made. Just curious about the Barreto tiller. They seems to be very popluar in the rental industry. I don't really have any other info on them though. Anyone ever use or own one of these beasts.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
windgoingby(SW CA)

Yes, I have used a Barreto tiller MANY times. (along with every other tiller known ...) Barreto is a hydraulic tiller (i.e. not chain or belt). It is truly the best piece of garden equipment you will ever use. The only downside is they are REALLY expensive. I think they run between 4 and 5 thousand dollars. But, believe it or not, if you need it they are worth the extra dollars. The power and ease of use is truly remarkable. There is a reason virtually every rental yard and landscape contractor (on the West Coast)has gone to Barreto - they simply run and run and run. If you need one buy it - you will not be sorry. The other brands are really not comparable. The only other negative I can think of is the weight - these are heavy duty professional machines - you cannot transport it in your car! They are around 600 lbs. and they are big and bulky. Otherwise they are awesome - but do not take my word for it - rent one and see. You will never bend over to pull rootlets out of the tines again - you cannot stop the tines on this machine! I hope that helps!

Bookmark   June 15, 2005 at 5:04PM
aesanders(8b Alachua, FL)

Thanks for the respone. The local rental company near me has about 6 of them. They really do dwarf the Troy Bilt's and even the BCS machines I've seen. The hydraulic drive system looks looks like it is extremly easy to use. I will take your advise and go rent one of these.

Bookmark   June 16, 2005 at 9:12AM
TJG911(z5b CT)

rented 1 once to establish a new garden, 1200 sq ft. i had the excavator dig out the large rocks and i picked up the sod by hand. i rented the tiller. it was a monster! 650 pounds but was so easy to use it was amazing. 13 hp honda engine used hydraulics. i used it for about 6 or 7 hours. initally it was hard to do as the garden was dug up by the excavator and was up 1 hil down the valley of the next. i started at the shallowest depth and went east/west then dropped 1 notch and went north/south. did a fine job. i bet this is a really expensive tiller not for a garden of my size once it's established. if you want to bust new ground short of a small tractor this machine was great. nov 1998 cost $93 or $98 for the day. a bargin!

tom

Bookmark   August 1, 2005 at 11:29AM
patentnonsense(Dallas)

There's one on ebay now, starting price $1999!!!

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 2:52PM
milo2000

I have one of these and mine is the 16 HP B&S Vanguard. More power than the Honda and every bit as good. The Vanguard is B&S top of the line. This thing would likely til a blacktop road. It has special tines that are coted in a high nickel metal powder called hardfacing. They use this on oil rig drill bits. Hydraulics tine drive is awesome if you hit big rocks or bricks you won't break a pin or anything. If it is too much it will simply bog the engine but I have pulled out some 50+ lb rocks with it. An incredible machine but more than most would ever need. If you use it though you will never want to go back to anything else.

Bookmark   May 4, 2008 at 8:27AM
mike4409

I own one of these bad boys ond they will till anything. problem is i hurt my back so can't really use anymore so have to sell looking to get $2600 for it the tiller only has about 16 hours on it. Let me know if anyone is looking for one baker82605@comcast.net.
Thanks,
Mike

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™