Hardiest Climbing Roses??

lilies_and_roses(1a)April 29, 2009

Hi... I was wondering if anyone could tell me from experience what the hardiest climbing roses are? I've ordered Polestar, Cape Diamond, Louis Jolliet and John Davis. I was going to purchase Alchymist, but the greenhouse staff said it wouldn't survive here. Does anyone have experience in the far north with the 4 climbers I am trying? Also, is there a yellow rose hardy enough for the far north? We can usually plant anything that grows in zone 3, but J.P. Connell and Morden Sunrise which are listed as being hardy in zone 3 are not advised for Fort McMurray.... what's up with the yellow roses not being hardy?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentstar(5b, NE Ohio)

Maybe William Baffin?

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 7:45PM
lionessrose(z4b Idaho)

Hello,
Here in z4b Idaho,
I have had very good luck with John Cabot, John Davis, Veilchenblau & Ramblin' Red.
I planted William Baffin & New Dawn last season... looks good so far :o)
Don't know about a yellow climber, all the yellow's I have planted, if they do survive, are never a climber.
I have not yet found a good one.
Lioness

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 8:27PM
rideauroselad E.Ont4b

John Davis and Quadra are the best cold hardy climbers in the Explorer series in my experience. Both will grow to 6 or 7 feet and do well on a fence or a wall. These two roses will probably take 3 or 4 seasons to grow large and get established as climbers though, so patience is required.

Another one which may be hard to find is Northern Encore, also known as Polar Joy, very hardy with extremely good rebloom and can grow to over 7 feet when main canes are espalliered. Laterals will break all along the espalliered canes and grow to 5 or 6 feet. Hortico is the only place that advertises this rose as far as I know. The blooms are mid pink and 5 petalled but the rebloom is exceptional for a hardy rose. This one is very vigorous and rapid to establish itself. Northern Encore resulted from a cross between the Rugosa Sneezwerg and the Explorer Champlain. Help me find lists it as zone 4b, but with that breeding, it has got to be cane hardy to zone 3 at least.

Cheers, Rideau Rose Lad

Here is a link that might be useful: Northern Encore at Help Me Find

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 10:24PM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

Quadra was the climber with the least dieback in my garden. Aside from the very tips of the canes there was no other damage.
Goldener Olymp is a yellow that grows well and is hardy in my garden. It does die back quite a bit but grows back quickly. Autumn Sunset is also relatively hardy. Except for Quadra all my climbers required more pruning than normal this year. The only winter protection they get is the oak leaves Mom Nature blows into the beds.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 11:14PM
lilies_and_roses(1a)

Thanks guys! Quadra is one that I haven't ordered, but maybe I'll add it on. Northern Encore sounds interesting too.... I've always heard great things about Sneezwerg, so I like that they're related.

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 11:18PM
More Discussions
Think I might have done a bad thing to my rose....
Hi All, I have a rose bush that was given to me, I...
rhoder551
Crazy about Rose Buds!
There are times during this new season of roses that...
sara_ann-z6bok
Any hope for my "One Cane Wonder" Firefighter?
Is there any hope that a "One Cane Wonder"...
sara_ann-z6bok
double yellow Lady Banksia
I was wondering if anyone had much experience with...
kaesgarden
Rose Rosette video lecture, City of Allen, Texas
See: http://allentx.swagit.com/play/03302015-751
henry_kuska
Sponsored Products
Newark 26 in. Backless Counter Stool - Silver - 5051-826
$129.98 | Hayneedle
King Canopy 13 x 27 ft. Gray Heavy Duty Storage Garage - SG1327S
$519.95 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™