is it dead?

RachaelLemmon(5)April 28, 2014

I have a dbl knockout standard for 4 yrs now, but this past winter knocked it out. I have 4 canes alive but my question is , is the rest dead? Ive pruned off the obvious to me but im hardly a novice.help please, ive lost 3 shrubs for sure this winter , hope this one isnt a goner.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RachaelLemmon(5)

Heres another shot

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:34PM
seil zone 6b MI

I would wait a bit and see what decided to start growing and where. It's easier to tell then what to take off. Just because a cane is a darker color doesn't mean it's dead. As canes age the do get darker and more barky naturally. There may be more alive there than you think.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:50PM
charleney(8a PNW)

uh oh.. I think I see at least one good cane and maybe up to 3. Tree roses are a little tough to grow in your zone, I would think. I would start with the very dark black or brown canes and start cutting back the tips in 2-3" increments, until you get creamy white pith (inside)and cut to a swelling about 1/4 in. above. Good luck! I think tree roses (standards) are a challenge. wishing you very good luck!

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:53PM
charleney(8a PNW)

Seil is always pretty much on the 'know'.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 5:55PM
RachaelLemmon(5)

Ive never asked a question seil or someone couldnt answer, thats why i come here to learn. I did keep trimming further and further but at a point i decided it was way more than i wanted and just stopped. Im no good with feeling positive about a cane being old or dead. The pith is white but the cambium is tan, not green.. or where there is green under the bark, it looks very dry. So i stopped cutting. I hope im not stuck with only those 4 new gangly canes from last summer...id never be able to train it back to its former glory. Fingers crossed in upstate :) thanks to all.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 6:47PM
RachaelLemmon(5)

yes charleney, ive had great luck with this standard. I bundle the graft but have never dug it out. I wrap everything above dr huey.. and hes as green as can be right now.lol. this winter was just brutally cold up here in the mountains. Ill hope for the best . Even though its just a knockout , i really do love it. Say a little prayer for her !

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
do rabbits eat roses
my roses have been eaten down to about 18" and...
dmoore66
Counting the Days!
Generally it starts after Christmas with me, truthfully...
sara_ann-z6bok
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™