pruning barberry bushes

kss1956May 17, 2011

I want my barberry bushes to continually to get fuller. What is the best time to trim these and is there a wrong time? I don't want to kill them.

I appreciate your advice.

Karen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

can you post a pic..

and can you define what 'fuller' means ... to you ...

i doubt you can kill them if you run them over with the truck.. but beyond that.. i cant give you an answer ...

ken

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:23AM
simcan(z5b/Toronto)

I prune my barberries, especially three big old ones, almost continually. Just keep trimming it up and it will produce denser and denser growth. Let that harden, and then do it again. I started with some very big straggly bushes and now they are quite rounded and dense (you can no longer see the inside much when foliated), after about three years of chipping away at it. Don't expect immediate results. You can also occasionally prune out up to a third of the oldest stems from the bottom to encourage new bottom growth, which I have also been doing. Think of it as a combination of rejuvenation pruning (you can google it) and shearing. These are very, very tough shrubs.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:59AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I hack about a foot off my 'Crimson Pygmy' barberries every spring with hedge shears. They aren't so small for me, 4' x 4' They just get denser and grow more after I shear them. You can't kill them by pruning.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:52AM
anitamo(5)

When you do prune, wear strong gloves. The thorns are extremely sharp!!!

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 1:23PM
arbordayle(6 PA)

I just lightly pruned some crimson pygmy barberries and was surprised to see that the areas where I pruned are now green. Will these areas darken to purple or will I have to wait for new growth? The shrubs look pretty odd right now with patches of green and purple.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 9:11PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

The sun will darken them.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 9:35PM
gramma_jan_mn_zn_4

The hort guy at the U. said the right time to prune anything is when you have your pruners in your hand. I tend to agree, when it comes to things you can hand prune. If it was a sapping tree, like a maple, it might be different.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 3:19PM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I replaced all seven of mine with knockout roses. If I was going to have to prune something that thorny once a year (or more) it had better deliver something worthwhile.

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Which are organic fertilizers and where to buy them.
I'm looking for some organic fertilizers which can...
ycmahesh
Zone 10b: Dog Friendly Ground Covering (Creeping Perennial)
I am considering replacing our front lawn (in a gated,...
fraustachowski
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Are Agapanthus hardy in zone 6
Does anyone have experience growing agapanthus in zone...
KarenPA_6b
Please tell me about baptisia?
I've occasionally seen these plants in local gardens,...
twrosz
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™