Which rider for 1500 or less?
I'm looking for advice to buy the appropriate riding mower for my lawn. Heres the things I consider when looking for one:
- Lawn is half an acre.
- Lots of very mature trees
- Lots of roots at grass level
- Lots of pine needles and cones and leaves to deal with in the fall.
- I have a bad back, so need a good seat.
- I had a bad experience with a Husqavarna walk-behind mower.
- I'll be wanting to mostly mulch the grass, and use a tow sweeper to deal with the pine needles, cones, and leaves.
- I don't want to spend more than $1500.
So based on these criteria, I am looking at the following models:
-Craftsman YT3000 (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07128924000P)
Both have hydro transmissions, the main difference that I can see between the two is the Craftsman has a larger deck while the Ariens has 2 cylinders. I like that Craftsman warrantees the frame and axle for 5 years(rest is 2). I'm not sure what the warranty on the ariens is.
The questions I could use help answering are:
- Is a 46in deck going to be much different on a half an acre lawn?
- Is a 2 cylinder engine going to make the ride more comfortable and therefore better for my back?
- Is there much difference between a hydro and auto transmission? I saw some cheaper models with auto trans.