Craftsman Garage Door Opener quit

whitgallmanMay 23, 2011

My Dad has 2 Craftsman 1/2 hp chain drive garage door openers (GDO). One is a 13953535SRT1.

We think we had a voltage spike, surge because a number of electric items in his house quit working after the power pole was broken.

Neither of the GDOs work now. The outlets show 120V power. Do these type GDOs have any circuit protection like fusable link etc?

If not, what usually needs replacing if the units see a voltage spike (lightening hit)? A circuit board? the motors, capacitors?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

I had two to go out during a storm. Both doors tried to open but I had them locked due to opening from etc before. Both receivers on the wall went bad and the overhead motors continued to work fine. I was able to have generics receivers delivered with the understanding that I would only purchase them if they worked. They have worked over 10 years. loger

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 3:01PM
loger_gw

Corrections: I had extra receivers but needed the generic remotes. The old Sears openers that reverse from pressure vs eyes seem simpler maybe not as safe?? loger

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 5:22PM
don_1_2006

The most common thing that happens when you have a power surge or electrical storm is it gets to the logic board. You can pull the board and check for burnt or missing traces on the printed circuit especially around the small transformer. There is no fusible link. Surge protectors are recommended but hardly anyone does that.

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 7:05PM
loger_gw

I feel the logic boards will possibly have a noticeable burnt smell (as a modem did that went out during a storm). I have surge protectors on my openers as computers and etc.. I've heard if a lighting strike is close enough the surge protectors probably w/n help. I experience about 5 computers receiving expansion boardâÂÂs damages due to a strike and they all had surge protectors. If it is the board, the cost to you might be as much as another opener vs the actual board's cost. Electronics retail cost can be unreal in many cases.

Good Luck! loger

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™