The neighbors mowed their lawn!

nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)March 22, 2014

It's finally mowing time in our area and I told my new neighbors when they started to mow their lawn, I would be happy to take their clippings! (former neighbors didn't treat with anything, and these guys are lucky to realize they HAVE a yard!)
I went today to get a wagon full just to let them know I was doing something, and found that they had also chopped up a bunch of leaves that were mixed with the leaves!
We all know what THAT means! STEAMING pile! Way too much grass, but I found 2 large bags of chopped leaves and dumped them all into the compost container and added water!
Will mix all tomorrow and giggle at my find! Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
klem1

""they had also chopped up a bunch of leaves that were mixed with the leaves! "

It realy spoils my day to find a bunch chopped up leaves mixed with a bag of leaves. ( :

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:38PM
tn_gardening

score

This recipe (leaves + grass clippings) makes up >90% of my compost pile.

I really wish i had a shredder, but until then, I'll just use my bagging mower.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 1:31PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

You're right! You don't want to mix leaves with leaves! ;)

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 9:11PM
robertz6

I hope you asked a very important question first.

Do the neighbor have a lawn service spray your lawn, and with what? (Hardly anyone knows what is sprayed on their lawn, maybe some folks in this forum)

Does the neighbor himself spray any weedkiller or other products? And the same question about the neighbor's neighbors.

For the last two years I have been taking one neighbors leaves in the fall. Come to find out he brings home industrial type sprays because the 'stuff in the garden store is not strong enough'.

My tomato crop was better in the first five years, over the last five years. And this might be one reason why.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 6:27PM
klem1

Robert,the fact anyone would catch clippings and ship them off site is reason enough to be suspecious of them.
My neighbor mows over an acre and a half with a lawn tractor then rakes the clippings and hauls them to the landfill where they charge a fee for leaves,clippings and tree trimmings in an effort to discourage disposing of them.
One only needs to compare my place with his to see if mulching back onto the ground is benificial. I am of the opinion that if everyone recycled 100% of their yard waste and watered responsibly,it could solve our water crisis and beautify in the process,

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 12:01AM
toxcrusadr

I don't have specific data to prove it, but it seems like leaves should not have carry a large burden of stuff you're putting on the lawn. First of all it's not sprayed on the trees. I suppose herbicides could go into the soil and be absorbed by tree roots, but If the trees picked up an effective dose, wouldn't the trees be damaged or killed? When you consider those factors, then you compost the leaves along with other materials, the likelihood of having herbicide problems with the compost seems small. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:18AM
louisianagal(z7bMS)

tn gardening i tried to find your email but can't i have a shredder in north ms. wheeler57@hotmail.com

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:22AM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

They do not use anything on their lawn. Nor did the people who planted it about 8 years ago. Nor do the neighbors. We're in the country and there are only 4 houses close, so we know what we do in our yards. ;) Nancy

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
Clay
Moving to a new home with a blank canvas and landscape...
dnamama
Raised Bed: What to put at the bottom?
Hi everyone, I'm a novice gardener and am working on...
sooby77
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
Idea for high moisture woody debris compost heap
I got some branches recently in someone's yardwaste...
irjowo99
Using Compost as Mulch
I have a large perennial and rose garden. I have used...
spinach
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™