Ho-mi garden tool #purchase

sciboy(6b)May 16, 2011

I bought a ho-mi at a local seed house today. I weight in the hand was perfect and the three edges all seemed to give different, useful hoeing types. But, sadly, it was not of very good construct. It feel apart after a few minutes of use.

I want a high quality, well manufactured version. Googling didn't seems to find one.

Does anyone know where I can get a well manufactured ho-mi?

Thanks so much!

Luther

New Freedom, PA

@LutherC

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slowpoke_gardener

Luther, I typed in Ho-mi and saw a good looking tool. I also bought 3 Ken Ho weeders this year from Amazon. They are OK, except I don't like stainless steel. I think Johnny's has a version that is not stainless steel.

Two of the three I bought this year I gave away, the other I put a long aluminum handle on, which needs the angle changed to be a good tool.

A quality cast iron tool is hard to find. I have better luck at garage sales, flea markets, and auctions.

I wish I had a better answer for you, maybe someone will come along on the forum to tell you just what you want to know.

Larry

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 4:09PM
sciboy(6b)

I am sure there aren't very many importers of this tool. The one I have is the one Johnny's sells.

Googling it seems to return 3 versions:
One, the one I have and Johnny's sells.
Two, the one like Johnny's but with a green band.
Third, one with 2 grooves cut into the handle.

The one with the green band looks identical to mine, but with a painted band.
The one with the grooves looks like it is from a different manufacturer. It's edge is sharpened, mine is not.

Do you like the ken ho? They seem to be well made.
Luther

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 10:18AM
slowpoke_gardener

I like the ken ho weeder, but I like the old one I have much better. I am not sure what brand it is. It is one I bought many years ago for my mother and she is no longer able to use it.

The Ken ho weeder seems well made except for the stainless steel. It is harder to keep stainless steel sharp.

The one I cut the handle down on and install a aluminum mop, paint, or some type handle show promise when I bend the head so the blade cutting edge is not parallel with the ground. I also sharpen the back side of the blade so it is easier to come into the left side of the plant.

Larry

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:26AM
More Discussions
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™