Is it possible to grow oak from cuttings?

canadianplantJanuary 20, 2014

I know some trees species are hard to grow from cuttings. From what little google can tell me it seems oak are not amung the easiest.

Has anyone here ever tried or was successful at striking oak cuttings? The species I have in mind are burr, red and northern pin oak. Most of the trees I find are too young to support viable acorn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

anything is possible.. i presume you mean probable ...

and i have never heard of rooting oak ...

if an oak is too young to give acorns... my first thought.. was it is probably young enough to transplant. ...

i have had great luck moving 3 to 5 footers ... do you have legal access ....???

give it a go.. what do you have to lose???

ken

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 10:29AM
canadianplant

Most of them are trees that are aout 6-8 feet tall. They arent mature enough to really produce viable seed I would assume. They do have acorns but they are few and far between and small.

Most are boulevard trees, so I cant just go dig it up. I prefer to grow from seed or cutting anyways.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 10:46AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

why are you presuming the acorns are sterile.. have you tried some???? .. the float test.. or whatever???

yeah.. i guess the city and neighbors wont be appreciating you walking down the street with a dug up tree.. lol ...

have you considered ordering some acorns ???

ken

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:33PM
canadianplant

Im always looking for a good source of seeds. They must ship to canada of course.

All of the acorns I have seen had some holes in them and were small, still attatched to the tree. As far as I know most oak acorns are bigger then a dime. I have not seen any acorns on the red oak or pin oak. I guess all I have seen are acorn on burr oak.

Bookmark   January 20, 2014 at 12:38PM
toronado3800 Zone 6 StLouis(6)

There is always grafting if one of them oaks is unique enough to be worth the trouble.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 10:35PM
poaky1

There is a Holm oak Q. Ilex and English oak Q. Robur cross named Turners oak that is usually reproduced by grafting or cuttings coaxed to root. It is supposed to be easier to reproduce that way than seed. Kew in the UK has a specimen of an adult. That's the only vegetively reproduced oak I know of.Psuedoturneri is the name of the rooted cutting.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 2:32PM
j0nd03

I remember Dirr mentioning a nuttall or swamp white oak cultivar that is exclusively propagated by cuttings but I can't remember the name atm... when I find out, it might be worth a call/email to the people propagating the cultivar this way and ask for some tips.

I'll look it up when I get home.

Bookmark   January 24, 2014 at 3:18PM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

Yes a handful of species and cultivars are known to root by cutting, but for the vast majority it's been found impossible and they are grafted.
Another one that roots by cutting is the Japanese Quercus phillyraeoides. It seems the evergreen ones are more likely to root that way. Not oaks but some of the related Lithocarpus can be rooted too.

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 10:34AM
j0nd03

Apparently several Quercus texana cultivars exclusively grown from cuttings exist. Select Trees in Athens, Georgia has made several intros.

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Sat, Jan 25, 14 at 11:59

Bookmark   January 25, 2014 at 11:24AM
More Discussions
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
Neighbor's tree roots interfering with mother's property
My mother's neighbor planted a tree right at her fence,...
Bama_Joe
Temporary Potting Small Trees - Central Florida
I have a small Magnolia tree, about 2 1/2' tall, and...
sunshinerivera
Would windex overspray hurt dormant oak or metasequoia?
Was cleaning the windows outside with Windex today....
hairmetal4ever
Question About Planting Dogwood Tree
I bought a nice looking pink dogwood tree today - about...
alameda/zone 8
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™