dandelion digger

flora2b(z6a bc)May 17, 2011

Looking to buy a dandelion digger, was wondering about the stand up kind like the '3 garden claw'.

Does anyone have any experience to share? I don't want a piece of junk.

Here's a link to a pic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S0PH1A/?tag=marwet-20

What do you use?

Thanks,

Flora

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sciboy(6b)

Flora,
I have spent dozens of hours in the Spring digging dandelions. I know it sounds crazy, but it is like meditation for me...the feel of the cool Spring earth, the Spring breezes. It's a great way to spend a bright afternoon.

I have tried so many dandelion diggers and spent plenty for them. None were perfect till I found a sturdy, well made vintage dandelion digger at a thrift shop for pennies. The one with the small 2-prong fork at the end of a very sturdy tang. My tang is square; I think that adds to the sturdiness, so it won't bend when using plenty of leverage.

I have used the Daisy Grubber.
http://www.landrethseeds.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5145
I really like it, but you have to be careful not to use too much torque, or you will bend it.

As for the Fiskars tool. I personally never found any of there tools to be well made. All of mine seemed to quickly go into disrepair and made their way to the garbage.

This year I had very few dandelions. The most effective therapy for weed ridden lawns is to mow high. I know it looks unkempt. But trust me, it gets better. I started mowing at the highest setting three years ago. I really saw the difference this year. BEAUTIFUL carpet of green grass and weed free!

Good luck!
Luther

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 11:16PM
More Discussions
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Stihl vs. Husqvarna Chainsaw purchase
I am lucky enough to have my wife ask me to pick out...
virginiacowboy
Primer not getting Gas?? After Carb Rebuid?
I just rebuilt a couple snow blower Carbs (both Tecumseh...
bertman_gw
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™