Steam-train excursion

beng(z6 western MD)January 4, 2014

A bit OT, but took a steam-train excursion from Cumberland MD to Frostburg (& back) during the Thanksgiving holidays. Here I am at Frostburg -- appropriately w/some snow on the ground. This is the #734 Baldwin 2-8-0-- designed for steep grades instead of speed.

The mountain forests along the route were interesting. Black cherries make up a surprising amount of the forests.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wisconsitom

Looks grand! I'm a railroad guy too. I'll bet the ride was great.

+oM

Bookmark   January 4, 2014 at 1:25PM
mikebotann(8a SE of Seattle)

I'll bet that was a fun ride!
I'm a RR guy too and am old enough to remember steam locomotives on the mainline of the Great Northern RR in the late 40s. We lived two blocks from the mainline on Puget Sound north of Seattle.
I was a RR Depot Agent on the extra board for the Union Pacific in the mid 60s. My territory was eastern Washington State, northern Idaho, and northern Oregon along the Columbia River.
If I had the time and money, I'd have a garden railroad. It would be fun using dwarf conifers and rock outcroppings for scenery.
Mike

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 8:58AM
beng(z6 western MD)

Guys, the ride was as smooth as glass, tho we never exceeded 25 mph going uphill. There were bridges and even a mountain tunnel to go thru. In the summer you can store bikes in one of the passenger cars up to Frostburg, then follow the train downhill along the adjacent bike trail back to Cumberland. I think the steepest grade is almost 3 degrees. You get to see the land/mountains from a perspective you never get on the highways.

The old coal-burning Baldwin #734 is a bit over 2000 hp, but w/massive wheel-torque. It was built ~1920.

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 10:57AM
wisconsitom

Though not steam-driven, I did take Amtrack from Milwaukee to Seattle back in my youth. You are so right-a train rider can see things from so different a perspective than the highways offer. On that trip, we of course had to get through the Rockies, the Cascades, and finally into the Coastal Range (I think-that was in 1974!). At any rate, we had the opportunity to really see the mountains! Nice report.

+oM

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 12:44PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i am jealous

ken

Bookmark   January 5, 2014 at 1:47PM
beng(z6 western MD)

For some closer details on the locomotive, here it is back at the Cumberland station.

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 9:57AM
j0nd03

That thing is a monster!! I bet the ride was beautiful

Bookmark   January 6, 2014 at 10:18AM
jcalhoun(8b Mobile County AL)

More train fans, awesome!!!!

Bookmark   January 26, 2014 at 5:08PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

I perked up when I saw this thread. I lurk a lot on this forum and learn a lot. I live with a railfan who publishes a rail magazine. He has had a photo of the Western Maryland scenic in the magazine. He also has a model layout in our basement and garage (Allagash Railway) so I am immersed in trains!

Bookmark   January 27, 2014 at 9:21PM

thyme2dig, his scenery is impeccable! Best I've ever seen.
Mike

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 6:22AM
poaky1

With the name beng, I pictured you as being Asian. I can see you aren't. Sorry if that is strange to you. When I see people posting over time, I form a image of what their name makes me think they look like.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 6:04PM
j0nd03

I think its perfectly natural do that, poaky! It gets really interesting when you actually meet someone from this forum =) The two I have met have certainly become good friends and it is nice to put a face with the username. Beng is another regular I would enjoy meeting if our paths were ever to cross.

Bookmark   January 28, 2014 at 6:31PM
viburnumvalley(z5/6 KY)

Small world!

Cumberland, MD is quite a nice town. I enjoy it every time I pass through there - ancient interstate and all.

I visited this eminent citizen in June 2012.

Bookmark   January 30, 2014 at 10:00PM
poaky1

The only person I've actually seen from garden web is Dax , from his posts with huge trees he posts here. He usually stands or squats down beside the trees. Ken has posted a pic or 2 of his son with red hair, so Ken is likely Caucasian, fair skinned. And I think there is a older guy with white beard and has a mature or near mature conifer forest, and comes here sometimes to the tree forum, but is a conifer guy. He posted his pic and his trees have huge roots that grow over boulders, down into the soil . That's all I remember. The rest, the imagination guesses.

Bookmark   January 31, 2014 at 8:03PM
aquilachrysaetos

I'm a RR buff, particularly of steam. I'm jealous.

On my bucket list is a ride on Grand Canyon railway when that have the steam engine doing the runs.

Bookmark   February 4, 2014 at 10:01PM
poaky1

Beng, I got your Email, but accidentally lost it. Well, anyway, that must be your son in the photo. The guy in the photo can't be 70 yrs old. If that is YOU you are doing something right.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 2:48AM

My grandfather's last name was Bengsten. He was from Denmark.
Danes hold their age well. ;-)
Mike

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 7:38AM
beng(z6 western MD)

poaky, I didn't send you an email. I'm not 70 yet -- 57 actually.

Bookmark   February 6, 2014 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Can anyone ID this wood? (firewood)
It burns very slowly. It's perfect for nighttime, and...
laura242424
what is/are the current spam rules?
i dont have the patience to read all the boilerplate...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
How to tell male and femals Black Gum apart?
There's a Black Gum tree at a local nursery, and I'm...
farmboy1
Control Freak
On my way into B'more this morning I saw these Edgeworthia...
sam_md
general all-purpose fertilizer recommendation?
Can anyone recommend a good, all-purpose granular (perferably...
vlk20
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™