Trimmer heads

rcmoserMay 28, 2010

How many take there trimmer heads (straight shaft)(quick links attachments) apart clean and regrease? I do mine about every three years. Don't take but about 30 mins. I find that the grease is about gone and dirty after about 3 years of heavy use. I have several over 10 years old and they still look like new inside. MTD/Ryobi are actually very well made, have 4 bearings and a cast al. housing. I also clean and regrease the shafts also.

If you haven't every done yours it maybe time to do it, if you want it to last....? Rc

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zoulas

good point, did not think you had to do that.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 6:16AM
masiman(z7 VA)

Only maintenance Stihl says to do on my trimmer is force grease into the head. It has a handy port that the tube screws right onto, a cheap zirk fitting kind of.

Bookmark   May 29, 2010 at 9:46AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

I found a Toro straight shaft weed wacker on the garbage pile-looked like new. The string head was missing. The lady who lived there said the head wouldn't stay on, and she lost it somewhere. I offered to fix it for her, but she said to take it.
I went to my favorite mower parts shop, and bought the whole new head. It is the kind that you don't have to take apart to feed new line into it. Just line up the marks, stuff the line thru about 5 feet, then cut it off opposite the end, and wind it in. Neat! And it cuts well, too.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
cultivator or tiller or both
In the past I've manually tilled and cultivated my...
Edwin Turlington
Harbor Freight small utility tralier question
I just purchased this harbor freight trailer. http://www.harborfreight.com/1090-lb-capacity-40-1-2-half-inch-x-48-inch-mini-utility-trailer-with-12-inch-four-lug-wheels-and-tires-90153.html I...
rlmunsey
Have Chipper/Shredder for trade
I have a very nice gas powered wood chipper/leaf shredder...
charlieboring
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
Sponsored Products
Key Lime Green Leather Ladies Travel Kit with Shaver
Classic Hostess
Runner: Nag's Head Sand Beige 2' 1" x 7' 10"
$79.97 | Home Depot
Flos | 45 ADJ LED 2 Outdoor Path Light
YLighting
39" Acqua Brushed Nickel Dual Head Rotational Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Rain Shower Head Made From Brass
TheBathOutlet