Odd gardening tools....

viarusticaMay 24, 2013

I have inherited a lot of gardening tools from my super gardening grandmother who raised six kids, mostly off of the garden. Most of the tools I know and still use. These three on the other hand I'm not so sure about. The one in the middle I'm pretty certain is an oddball adjustable variation of the "heart hoe" idea. The other two I just can't figure out. The left most contraption when I push it through the dirt kind of loosens up the dirt like a stirrup hoe....but with much more "collateral damage." The other on the right just doesn't make any sense to me. The curve part isn't beveled like it's meant to dig but the pointy part is beveled, on both sides. Any ideas here?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

Yes, I think the tool the left is a stirrup hoe (aka Dutch hoe). Best to pull that through the dirt. Does a great job upending weed seedlings that are 2" or less tall. Weekly maintenance item.

The one on the right seems to be some kind of three-in-one tool. Two pointed edges for moving dirt, curved furrowing on the left make a small trench, straight edge on the right scarifies (cuts hard soil). A notch in the middle for grabbing a plant stalk. I say it's made for planting then removing sweet corn. The rust on the curved edge indicates that edge was used the most, furrowing

Never had a heart hoe, but the middle one does look like that.

Nice to have old tools like that. Store them where you can see them. Remember who went before.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 6:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exmar

Agree with Tom. Just wanted to say thanks for posting and sharing with us. reminds me of my Great Grandmother who lived by herself till she was 92, had chickens, garden, and used to visit her "invalid" kids..:-) Wonder if they were made of sterner stuff in the old days?

Ev

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 5:45PM
More Discussions
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood” inside?
Have you successful cut any “seasoned firewood”...
loger_gw
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™