Is Walmart's Accel 30 Wt Non Detergent oil safe to old mowers?

loger_gwMay 11, 2012

Is Walmart's Accel 30 Wt Non Detergent oil safe to use in old lawnmowers? I wanted cheaper general-purpose oil but that is usually a 30 Wt High Detergent oil. The Wt I had right but I missed non-detergent until I started a mower's oil change today. I have never owned a new mower or tried to find a manual's specs vs using 30 Wt HD since 1973 in 3 mower. I managed to find a new qt of 30 Wt HD Castrol in my stash (probably 20 yrs old, LOL). Now I wonder if it would have mattered for my once a year oil chance.

The only qt of non detergent 30 wt I have specifically purchased was to oil wics in my AC/Heat Central Unit's motors (1970s per the installer).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
romore_gw

Non detergent is not suitable for an engine, the detergents break down the contaminants from combustion. Save it for pressure washer and air compressor pumps.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:02PM
bill_kapaun

It's hard to find (impossible maybe?) a non detergent oil that has the proper anti wear additives.

I like the older Diesel rated oils because they have a good anti wear "package" and don't tend to eat flat tappet cams. modern oils are designed for cars with roller tappets and have a different additive package.

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 2:21AM
ewalk

My 2 cents . Non Detergent Oils were the norm for lawnmowers and snowblowers for years. Normally these units do not have filters . I would not recomend these oils when you can have the dispersent additive reduce sludge and dirt , while rust inhibitors (alkaline) reduce the oxidation potential which occurrs when acidic oil becomes an issue. In an emergency sure but why save a few cents today and pay $ later ?

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 9:56AM
loger_gw

The bottle clearly states below basically what has been shared. I'll use it as a gen non eng application.

Thanks For Sharing And Helping Me to "Wake Up And Slow Down"!

ACCEL Non-Detergent 30W Motor Oil is recommended for compressors and hydraulic systems that require non-detergent oils.
ACCEL Non-Detergent 30W Motor Oil, 1 qt:
* Recommended for compressors and hydraulic systems that require non-detergent oils
* Effective in lubrication of bearings and chains in non-critical "once through" systems
* Economical
* Good shear stability
* Good lubricity
* Straight mineral oil
* Good flow characteristics
* Not for use in automotive gasoline engines

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
huskymaniacny
Looking for a new "top box" for my tool chest.
My old one died of old, old age and I didn't replace...
exmar
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed on this Site
Are you finding Insert Pic Attachments to work as printed...
loger_gw
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
Sponsored Products
Donabella Dining Table
$3,399.00 | Horchow
Texas Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$79.99 | zulily
Blue 3528 LED Strip Light 60/m 8mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Old Colony Black Outdoor Wall Mount
$167.60 | Bellacor
Lybra 32PC CookWare Combo Set
Overstock.com