Used or new John deere?

viroMarch 25, 2013

Moving to a new house and I get to get a rider! Yay! ...... Only I don't have a clue on what I should be looking at. We have a dealer in town but haven't had a chance to get in yet and I'm still doing a little research.

I'm moving to a 1 acre property for starters and plan to get a utility trailer to haul dirt/rocks etc while landscaping, haul woof for the fire, more than likely hook up a blade for snow, possibly get a tiller too but it's really not a necessity.

I'm thinking I should be looking for something with a 2 cylinder just for the whole snow/ hauling stuff. I just have a habit of thinking things through too much.

We plan on sticking at this place for YEARS to come so I know buying new should last me all that and then some but obviously buying new saves some on the wallet. New, I was looking at the x300's but maybe a x500. I stare at the D-series but figure that it doesn't suit what I want. I'm hesitant to buy used only to have it crap out in 10 years and be forced to get another.

Anyways, a guy I work with has a gt275. Looks in pretty decent shape, seems to be well maintained motor wise. $2300 Canadian is the asking price which includes mulch kit. The JD dealer has a 504 for $3900 ( not sure of year).

Educate me. Knock some sense into me. Lol! I'm not against buying new or used, just want to be comfortable knowing I'll make a good choice and possibly save some cash in the process.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
viro

Should have also indicated the terrain was relatively flat, if anything gently sloped.

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 9:36PM
viro

Ouch.....no comments.....lol

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 7:11PM
rcbe(6)

might try weekendfreedomachines.com - lottsa deere types over there.

Bookmark   March 27, 2013 at 8:12PM
tomplum

A gt275 is a nice tractor, but no one would consider the 2300$ price tag a gift. There are enough years to warrant a thorough inspection- especially of the deck for rust and welds letting go.

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 11:24AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

With all of the heavy work you have planned for a lawn tractor--might as well buy a big, heavy tractor, and be done with it. Sending a lawn tractor out to do the kind of work you say--it will quit well before its time. Especially when hauling heavy loads of "woof"!

Bookmark   March 28, 2013 at 1:52PM
viro

any other thoughts? I'm getting tractor confused.....

New....or used........

I feel like some of the used prices are terrible (really high). I get they are John deere, but seriously, $3900 for a GT235? $2600 for a GT275?.......the only 'deal' I see through a dealer might be a x540 for $3900......I know Deere can hold their value pretty good but when I look up info on tractor data and see that these 'used' prices are like 80% of new (as in new 'back then' prices) I wonder why the hell anyone would buy a car! LOL!

I'm the kind of guy who likes to buy new but I don't want to discount used stuff to save some $ but this used stuff, although older, seems pricey compared to the new stuff.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 9:22PM
tomplum

Maybe it is time to compare to Kubota -if you have a dealer near. Unfortunately, you are in the premium price time of year for used equipment.

Bookmark   March 30, 2013 at 8:03AM
More Discussions
Briggs & Stratton OHV Intek Hard Starting
I am another of the seemingly many people fighting...
dreamoftheflood
Everybody getting enough seat time with the snow?
I know I am, way too much and compared to New England,...
exmar
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
Ford 1210 hydrostatic clattering when engaged
Is it possible someone is up on this subject here?...
jaceymae
Can you identify this Muffler?
I obtained this muffler a while ago, but have no idea...
rodco
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™