Midnight Blue

minflick(9b/7, Boulder Creek, CA)April 21, 2014

In my quest for a really purple rose, I got Midnight Blue, because the pictures I saw were nice. It has bloomed today, the first of dozens (Unless I chop them off to boost root growth), and.... It's not blue at all, not purple either (by MY definition of purple). It's a good strong color though, and I think I like it.

What do you all think of it? It's in front of a fence that does get pretty hot at times during the day, but not constant sun.

Melinda

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Sorry, but the picture didn't show up for me, Melinda.

Bookmark   April 21, 2014 at 7:36PM
Rosecandy VA, zone 7

I've only had Midnight Blue for one year now, and the first time it bloomed I, too, was disappointed. The next batches of blooms (the first had only one bloom) were much more purple and I was quite happy with the result. I had a mild summer last year, so I don't know how different the blooms look in different tempuratures. Either way, it's healthy and vigorous for me with lots of lovely blooms!
I hope yours will make you as happy as mine has made me.

Bookmark   April 22, 2014 at 4:18PM
Molineux(6b)

There is no such thing as a blue rose. Not even the transgenic roses with delphinidin are blue because the cellular pH of the rose genus isn't acidic enough to express blue. As for purple roses most start out a deep saturated crimson red that progressively "blues" until shades of purple and violet are achieved. The color is extremely unstable and rarely lasts more than a day or two as the bloom fades out to grayish mauve.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 1:17PM
More Discussions
Roses that you miss
I have a few roses I have lost over the last 10 years....
kingcobbtx9b
Awesome Climber
This is a very popular spot to take photos in the San...
FriendsSJRoseGarden
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™