Manufacture date of a Briggs and Stratton engine

ocmoses(7)March 14, 2011

How do you determine the manufacture date of a B&S engine? I have the Model # and the Code #.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mownie(7)

Pictures

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 12:34AM
BriggsGalaxieman

Mownie....nice chart. Do you have any more details on the 'Type' numbers (other than 'certain unique features.....")?

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 8:52AM
mownie(7)

***"any more details on the "Type" numbers (other than "certain unique features"?"***
No, at least as far as I'm concerned. So far as I can tell, the Type Number is used to select the correct Illustrated Parts List, and then furthermore........to choose the correct part from inside that specific Illustrated Parts List.
It is certain that somewhere in the Briggs & Stratton corporate offices, some department has a master listing of the differences of specific components, but I do not know if Briggs has ever offered the data to the public (except for using the Type #s in IPLs).
The best I have ever been able to do with type numbers is to just try to always be certain that I pick the correct part from the IPL regarding the Type Number of the subject engine. Sometimes that can be daunting if there is a sizable group of type numbers to pore through to see if MINE is included.

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 10:53AM
ocmoses(7)

Thanks mownie!
The chart is superb. I am going to save and print and put in my equipment manual notebook.

I am looking at an 18 hp opposing twin engine (now I know it is a 1995 model)to replace the 16.5 hp B&S that just quit on me. I also have someone that has a 13.5 hp vangard block assembly that HE says is the same as my 16.5 hp. HE said that the difference is in the carb. Any thoughts?

Bookmark   March 15, 2011 at 6:20PM
walt2002

There are so many different B&S engines in this range that you have to post the model numbers of the engines in question to know what the differences are.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 8:04AM
bill_kapaun

"I also have someone that has a 13.5 hp vangard block assembly that HE says is the same as my 16.5 hp. HE said that the difference is in the carb. Any thoughts? "

Refering to the chart, at least look at the first 2 digits of the model# for the displacement.

IF they are the same, then you'll have to download the IPL's for BOTH engines from Briggs and compare individual part#'s. Things such as crankshaft, pistons, head etc.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 3:40PM
ocmoses(7)

Thanks for the info. I really wonder if it is worth the aggravation of swapping parts rather than just buying a complete engine and mounting it and start mowing.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 8:26PM
More Discussions
Request for advice/information on Simplicity Regent 4111
Hello all. I was doing an internet search and found...
mattyruch
Snapper Riding Lawn Mower Wiring Diagram
I'm trying to find a wiring diagram for a Snapper Rear...
byrondallas
STX46 is dead
I have tried MANY things over the past year to get...
MPinNC
JD 30inch mechanical tiller VS. 42 inch hydraulic tiller ??
I have read and posted different threads on these two...
cjsm5nys
John Deere SRX75 Rider Issue
I have an old Deere SRX75 30" rider with a Kawasaki...
itzbinnice
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™