Gaura Crimson Butterflies

woodyswife(z5 OH)May 13, 2008

Does anyone in zone 5 grow this plant? This is one of the few new plants I bought this year and I'm wondering what to expect--how it blooms and hardiness of the plant. I was drawn to it by the pretty neat, foilage and I'm hoping this will be a winner. Any comments are welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Plant it in very well drained, lean soil and don't cut it back in the fall. Cut stems draw moisture into the crown, and gauras, like the western Agastaches, can't tolerate much winter moisture when they're dormant. Even then, it may not overwinter.

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 6:40AM
linnea56(z5 IL)

I have tried 2-3 times now and not have gotten any Gaura to overwinter. My garden is too moist in winter: I am sure that is the reason.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 2:08PM
shmeal

After planting Guara three summers in a row I FINALLY!!!! had one of the three plants come back this spring. I am so excited! I don't have any idea of why it came back this year and why only one plant came back but I am celebrating because I love how they bloom all summer long and I love the way they look in my garden.

Bookmark   May 15, 2008 at 2:49PM
LindaMA(MA z5)

I'm so glad I read this post, I was about to purchase Gaura lindheimeri 'Whirling Butterflies', I guess I won't bother now, I have a lot of moisure in my area during the winter. It's too bad, I really wanted this for garden too!

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 2:30PM
woodyswife(z5 OH)

While doing spring clean-up I got a nice surprise--this plant has made it through the winter. I don't want to sound like a pessimistic person, but I really had no expectation that this plant would make it through winter--what a nice thing to see after such a cold winter!

Bookmark   April 3, 2009 at 5:19PM
More Discussions
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
Before and After
By chance I came across this first photo just today....
rouge21_gw
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
Potentilla question
Does anyone have experience with Potentilla fruticosa...
waynez5_ia
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™