Troybuilt Horse

bellhotrod1May 5, 2010

I have a Troybuilt Horse model,....want to know where the correct numbers are located for verifying year, model, H.P.,...etc.(all former decals are now gone) This tiller has been in the family for approx. 20-30 yrs. and it now has the bottom pulley spinning freely on the main output shaft coming from the gearbox (sheared the key off)...and not sure why.

Need to repair/dis-assemble it to locate the problem......any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also need to know what size belts are on this tiller, or what the part numbers are to order new ones(and also if this model has two drive belts or if it is a "two-speed", do you only use one belt?).....originals were shredded when the pulley broke loose.

Thanks

Rodney

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

As you hold the handles, that is the right side on the right, looking forward!
Now, look down to the right side of the transmission. up near the top, and there should be some numbers stamped into the transmission case. They might be hard to see-might be filled up with paint.
As for the belts-belt. There are so many different ways that they ran the belts, and the forward and reverse way of operating the tiller. Some had one belt, some had two, some had a fiber reverse disc, so it is imperative that you find those numbers so you can learn what year of mfgr.. it was made in. If it has two belts, they must be a matched set.
Yahoo Clubs has a Troy-bilt Tiller Club, so try to get in there. Also, MTF is a good place to learn things!
Also, the two shiny vertical rods that hold the engine, must be kept clean and well-oiled.
When you find those numbers, tell us-somebody will help you with more info!
by: Rusty Jones

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:01PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

Here phone to painless parts for troy bilt tiller 1 800 609 5110 ank for Bill. He in va. so eastern time zone 8 to 5

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:11PM
muddy-fingers

on troybuilt tiller have numbers 65728 on top of trans and th 1001-1 and 4/17/73 on side and under motor in front th 1002 with a b what do i have for a tiller so i can get a few parts thanks

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 9:23PM
widget_2009

If you did not miss any additional number(s) in 65728 it should be a Horse I, mfg Jul/Aug 1973
This info is from Troy Bilt Tiller Club records, over on Yahoo.
Regards,
Ford

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Snowblowers and engine choices - Ariens vs Toro vs Simplicity and
I live on the shoreline in CT, where we get anywhere...
bfguilford
2-cycle engine troubleshooting
My 2-cycle blower cannot be started. There is a hot...
slim50
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™