Carpet vs Knockout Roses

proudgrma(Zone 5)April 22, 2008

I'm not familiar with the many varieties of roses, and I have been known to kill a few. I am thinking of filling an area by our foundation, east facing, with easy care roses that continually bloom, disease resistent, and little care.

What are the major differences between the KO and Carpet roses? Height? Care? I appreciate your thoughts. The area is about 20 feet long and 6-8 feet wide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buford(7 NE GA)

I don't have either, but I believe carpet roses are low to the ground and KOs can get to 6 feet high and are more upright.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:18PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Just from my experience the knockouts are way more outstanding than the carpet. The carpet are lower growing than knockout but mine definitely don't have no where near the amount of blooms the knockouts have. I have seen some peoples carpet roses that are gorgeous in the spring and thats it. My knockouts only get about 4 ft. tall and wide. Good luck choosing. Judy

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:36PM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

In my zone 5 yard my Knockouts only get about 3 feet tall. I do keep them deadheaded though so that may be the reson they only get that tall. I've tried the Carpet roses.
They were suppose to be like the Knockouts but never lived up to their hype. My Carpet rose died the first winter.

Bookmark   April 22, 2008 at 9:44PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

Other easy care roses include Buck roses (especially Earthsong and Quietness) and Easy Elegance.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 12:01AM
proudgrma(Zone 5)

Predfern, do the varieties you mention require more care than the KO or Carpet? Do they continuously bloom? Do they need to be deadheaded during the season?

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 9:51AM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

do the varieties you mention require more care than the KO or Carpet? Do they continuously bloom? Do they need to be deadheaded during the season?

Yes! to all of the above.

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 1:43PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

I have 5 Knockouts in various locations around my house. I also have Flower Carpet Red and Flower Carpet Coral growing in partial shade.

Both are effective landscape plants. They are both hardy and vigorous and do not seem to need fertilizer, fungicide or much pruning here.

Neither produces beautiful individual blooms, but both produce masses of color. Neither have long-lasting blooms, but don't require deadheading. FC can get 4' high vs. KO which reached 6'. FC produces more blooms and does so continuously. KO is more upright while FC spreads.

Knock Out

Flower Carpet Red

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 2:49PM
katefisher(Z7_NorthernCA)

Harry those were really nice! I would like to ask if Carpet Coral gets as wide as Carpet Red? According to HMF the former sprawls less.

Kate

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 3:24PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Hi guys, The red flower carpets seems to do better around here too than the pink and yellow flower carpet. They (pink and yellow) just don't rebloom well or at least all of the ones I have seen around here. I'm sure someone out there can beg to differ. To me they both have a beautiful bloom but you get so many more on the ko than the fc. Judy

Bookmark   April 23, 2008 at 8:47PM
joe_burks_gmail_com

Looking fo roses of all colors tht will grow in big pots (2-3ft diameter) and will not get moreo than 3 ft high

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 4:23PM
dianne0712(7)

I'm zone 7a and heavy clay. I have knockouts that don't get very high and only bloom twice unless deadheaded. On the other hand the scarlet carpet rose is ridiculously prolific, even blooming in the snow. I also have yellow, pink and white and they are not a patch on the scarlet which is 5 feet wide and 3 feet tall after 4 yrs. The other ones are slow to shed dead blooms and re flower. Any one of them though is far superior to knockout, which is a shame because I love the hot pink KO next to my pool. I've had 8 blooms so far and it's July. That's on 2 plants.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 5:13PM
More Discussions
New record!
OK, all you snow freaks, you got your new record here...
seil zone 6b MI
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw_San Francisco Bay Area
Roses for two spots in the PNW
Hello! I'm in zone 8 near Seattle and I've got two...
nonconformist_nymphette
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™