Malformed New Leaves

Oxboy555(Las Vegas)April 4, 2014

Help me diagnose?

Fairly young leaves right up near the buds looking deformed/discolored. Not sure if this will impact the nearby buds, but could. No aphids or signs of thrips. There were some rough winds this past week but this looks like something systemic. Nutrient problem? I've grown roses for years -- so I've been watering and feeding per usual best practices. The older leaves on the rest of the plants look fine.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Another pic

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:25PM
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Another...seems 3 of my 6 bushes are hit with this problem.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 7:27PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Have these roses been there for a while? And have they had this problem in the past?

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 8:24PM
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Two or three yrs old.

No. This seems to be a new problem.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 10:37PM
henryinct

This foliage is brand new and it indicates that it was partially destroyed while it was developing. Also it looks like the growing tip was destroyed. Regardless of what caused it you need to prune it all off. Being in Vegas I don't imagine you spray anything and I don't think you have midge so I would guess rose slugs. They can be tiny and they eat the growing tip which can sometimes continue to develop in a deformed way. I have see some of this here in SoCal but not quite like you have. Look for rose slugs on the growing tips and if you find some or possibly something else it will be your answer.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 12:30AM
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

I dormant sprayed in January and applied a systemic pesticide in Feb.

I wish I could distinguish definitively if this is bug/disease -OR- nutrition related. I have to imagine the former, but I don't know how they are getting through my defenses. There were a few aphids a few weeks ago that I got rid of promptly...nothing serious.

And not all of my bushes are affected...just some. Scratching my head here....

This post was edited by Oxboy555 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 2:24

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 2:22AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I would prune off all the distorted leaves and see what happens. If the distorted leaves do not return, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't know about the weather in Vegas--especially during this weird polar winter we had this year, but in Kansas, if those distorted leaves appeared in early spring, I would assume they were suffering from a late night freeze--which is why I'd cut them off. As the weather warms up, no other leaves would be affected..

Kate

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:01AM
anntn6b(z6b TN)

You might want to contact your ag extension agent and ask if Chili Thrips have been reported in your area.

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Belmont Yellow and Schmidt's Smooth Yellow
Somewhere there was a thread on these two roses, but...
Kippy
Why did all the leaves on my rose just fall off?
I was able to propagate a rose from my daughters wedding...
soranch
Speckled canes?
Hi all, I was out looking at all the lovely new growth...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
Teasing Georgia as a pruned shrub
So I have been reading on here about growing TG as...
kingcobbtx9b
Rose Ripoff only a gardener could appreciate.
So I did a search on Ebay for rose bushes, curious...
kublakan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™