Speaking of asters...

mxk3(Zone 6 SE MI)May 21, 2011

Is it better to plant in spring or fall? I have always planted in fall because that's when they're readily available, but they normally don't survive over the winter for me. Not sure if it's a hardiness issue or they just need to be better established before the onset of winter. I'm going to the nursery tomorrow and am wondering if I should pick up a few if they have them (I think this nursery does put some out for spring planting) - since I replace every fall anyway for the gorgeous shot of color, maybe I'll have better luck with spring planting - ? . Or are they just not that hardy? I'm speaking of cultivars like Purple Dome, BTW.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alyciaadamo(3/4)

I am not by any stretch of the imagination a seasoned gardener I just wanted to add my two cents. The two I got a pink one(about 3'+) and a purple smaller one (2'-/+) have done well. They were just seedlings I put in the ground in August two years ago and I am in zone 3/4 and they have done beautifully for me. The purple one took off so much I dug a big chunk up to put in another spot and you can't even tell that I took any. Maybe you need to plant it sooner. I don't know about where you are but last year was pretty tough on all my plants they all started going dormant in Sept usually they don't start until at least mid Oct. Maybe you could try putting a mess load of mulch after they freeze to help insulate them over the winter?

I looked up the picture and it looks awful close to the one I have so I would have to say if it is the one I have then hardiness is not an issue. The first winter we had with my asters it got down to -25 to -35 and they were AWESOME the next summer.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 7:10PM
More Discussions
How to ask Houzz a question?
When the switch over first happened I could easily...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Growing Yucca in container?
I seem to remember a member mentioning they were experimenting...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™