Peat moss, what to do with it?

wertach zone 7-B SCApril 30, 2011

I inherited a bale of peat moss, Put it in the garden or what?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annpatt

If you put it in the garden, you must thoroughly soak it first or it will repel water forever. Soak it in a wheelbarrow and stir it.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 8:19AM
gardengal48

You can use it as a component in your own potting soil mix, add to your compost or amend the soil in any planting area. It is especially useful in amending the soil for acid-loving plants like blueberries, rhododendrons, gardenias, camellias, etc.

The hydrophobic or water-repelling properties are most often encountered when trying to use peat moss as a mulch, which I wouldn't recommend. Typically peat moss - unless exposed to sun and other drying conditions - already has a moisture component that allows it to be incorporated into the soil without presoaking. But if you think it's too dry, by all means, go ahead and rehydrate.

Bookmark   April 30, 2011 at 9:32AM
annpatt

I'm surprised to hear that, because pre-wetting peat was standard advice when I was growing up as a gardener. I had an experience once, which seemed to verify the advice; for years after I dug in a bale of peat once in a new garden, I would encounter large pockets of peat in my soil that were as dry and powdery as the day I dug it in. I've been repeating the advice ever since.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 10:36AM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

As annpat said presoaking is nothing new. You want the peat as wet as the soil you are adding it to so if the sol is dry then the peat can be mixed in dry then soak. Yes peat is good for its acidic ways. I think it is 4.5 so dont add too much unless you have low ph wanting plants.

Bookmark   May 2, 2011 at 12:43PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I guess I will soak it and put it in my compost pile. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 3, 2011 at 2:51PM
More Discussions
Weeds and pollinators
Spring is just around the corner, uh huh yes it is,...
kimmq
How can I get my soil to hold water longer?
I live in Augusta and I just bought a bunch of Bricko's...
ryank817
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Gorilla hair?
I'm wondering about pros and cons of using redwood...
cakbu
Fungus in compost
This pile was started about 3 weeks ago. It is overun...
jon2412
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™