Is there such a thing as .... ?

lpalta(z5 NY)June 9, 2012

Once upon a time we had a weedwacker even I could start. We are in our 70's and 80's now, still have lots of trees over large acreage to trim, and on our fourth gas trimmer. My DH has arthritis and can no longer pull much with his arms. If I remember right, our first weedwacker had a spool containing just one string. After starting the first time for me, I could go all over the farm and change my own string and restart the trimmer myself--with no problem. We have had three since then, all used just a few times, that sit in our garage. Battery trimmer was not powerful enough and too much area for electric trimmer.

If not, is there an engineer out there that would like to get rich--fast? Just invent a trimmer for me and others like me. PLEASE HURRY!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
exmar

You might consider looking into one of the better (more $$) units like Sthil, or Echo. They really hold up, I have a Stihl that I've had for over ten years and it's still going strong. Also, the better units will take an attachment which allows individual very thick nylon strings to be attached. They're about 8" long and attach individually, that really saves the pain and anguish of fighting with rewinding, etc.

Unfortunately, all two cycles have their particular "starting ritual" which, once mastered works well.

A problem we currently have with the new gas with ethanol mixed in is carb fouling and issues like that. Get in the habit of putting a good stabilizer with good (I like the synthetic) two cycle oil in the can BEFORE you put the gas in.

Good luck,

Ev

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 11:29AM
loger_gw

Am I seeing there are some electric start two cycle trimmers on the market? If so, do we have some personal owners that will share their experiences related to good or bad options on the trimmers? Cranking, Running, Durable Use (motor and line), all over a good period of time vs one year. Actually the three items might have to be separated since cranking is the issue and all requires different care. BUT! One brand or model might rate "User Friendly" in the three areas.

Two Cycles appear to be Monsters to most people but they are not bad if you learn their nature and needs IMO.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 12:29PM
evdpgh

You might take a look at this one. Home Depot has them for $260.

Here is a link that might be useful: Echo trimmer.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 4:44PM
javert

THIS IS INFORMATION ONLY - I DON'T HAVE ANY DIRECT KNOWLEDGE OF THE TRIMMER OR THE VENDOR.

Here's an electric start string trimmer. Note that it is refurbished, but the listing says that it is warranteed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric start trimmer

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 1:53PM
loger_gw

More Electric Start Info At:

http://www.nextag.com/electric-start-lawn-trimmers/compare-html

I need to see and use one of the systems before I can make direct comments.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 3:43PM
evdpgh

"Here's an electric start string trimmer."...If you get a Ryobi electric start trimmer it probably won't start, but at least you won't have to expend much energy.

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Craftsman Snow Blower - Drive problem
During our big storm last week i noticed I started...
rspin
honda snowblower problem
i have a honda 928 snowblower... good machine, but...
rudall
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™