garden tractor selection help

erickson13455(z4 WI)April 25, 2013

Hi all,
I currently own a JD GT245 that I am keeping. I am looking into getting a bigger garden tractor. I want to get something a little bigger to move dirt, till, plow, snowblow, and mow the lawn. I have 5 acres. I see a wheel horse D-160, a cub 2165, and JD 320 near me. All have mower decks and blowers. Any opinions on these units or what else should I look for. I am not opposed to buying an older unit. Attachment friendly units would be nice. Looking to spend under $2000.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larso1(So. CO Zone 5)

You need some serious weight and power to move dirt, till and plow. Personally, if I were you I'd use the GT you have to mow the lawn and maybe blow snow. And then I'd buy a used vintage utility (smaller size, low profile) tractor like a Ford (600 and 800 series), Massey (135, 35), Case (430), etc. They're out there, they're relatively inexpensive, will last another generation, and can easily handle your dirt work that they were designed for. Plus, they're fun to use....

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 11:27AM
gewf631(Chicago NW Burb)

I have a Cub 2166 (the 2165's twin with smaller tires), and would never even think of using it to plow (dirt, I assume). I think this machine is smaller than your GT245.
You should have no trouble finding a good used tractor (assuming you have some place to store it), and since the mounts are universal (3-pt hitch), the cost of most attachments will be significantly less.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 7:45AM
erickson13455(z4 WI)

I have been leaning towards getting the Wheelhorse D-160. It has a 3pt, and seems heavy duty. Any one have any experience with these machines. It has the 16 horse onan engine. I am not familiar with these either. Any thing to look at to check it is in OK shape. Seems like the the 3pt and deck work, transmissions seems OK. The Deck is rusted through in 2 spots and needs some patches welded on.

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:43AM
More Discussions
Does anyone else have this problem?
I have a Craftsman riding mower that the manual clutch...
cowgirlrose55
John Deere SRX75 Rider Issue
I have an old Deere SRX75 30" rider with a Kawasaki...
itzbinnice
John Deere 445 EFI wet plugs
Tractor won't start until you remove both spark plugs and...
stone75
Ford 1210 hydrostatic clattering when engaged
Is it possible someone is up on this subject here?...
jaceymae
what yall think about this for a deal a Kubota on CL
here is the link.... what yall think http://louisville.craigslist.org/grd/4760971779.html thanks...
jeanwedding
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™