Cleaning a (Real) Filthy Fuel Tank

ibuzzard(9)June 1, 2011

I recently bought a older BCS 725,w/8 h.p.Acme engine.It was very inexpensive,but I knew having sat for years,there would be issues.After tank removal,I removed the fuel petcock to clean the tank.

There was so much dirt,almost as if someone sabotaged the previous owner.I was actually knocking dirt hunks loose with a rubber mallet!Oddly,the outside of the metal tank is in surprisingly good shape,thogh the plastic parts on the petcock crumbled to dust

Is there any way for a home-owner to successfully clean such a dirty tank,or should I take it to a radiator shop for boiling out?The replacement tank is plastic,expensive and,I am told by a nearby dealer,not of very high quality.I would like to save the steel tank if possible,but not spend a lot of money.Can it be done?If it is necessary,how do I remove the plastic fuel filler neck from the tank?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rustyj14(W/PA)

I have heard that a handful of limestone driveway stones/ stuff/ covering, and a pint of water. along with some hearty shaking, might clean it out.
Another way is take it to a radiator shop and have them boil it out! Its all iffy-it might work ok, and it might not, and you'd have to get a new one, which i would certainly opt for! RJ

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 1:52PM
loger_gw

I would suggest running a compression test on the engine to see if it was sabotage and the dirt damaged the cylinder. Were their any explanations how the dirt got into the tank? Did you check the oil in the engine's crankcase? How long did it sit? loger

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:24PM
rcmoser

probably kids sticking thing in holes or you live in the drought area of the country? I just use pressure washer or garden hose (course pressure washer would be better), then bottle brush, pressure washer, rinse with gas or alcohol.

Course you just can't stop there. replace the fuel lines, filter if it got one, clean the carb. change the oil, and check the air filter. Remove the spark plug spay 5 second blast carb. cleaner down the hole. motor the engine (pull the rope several times) to blow out any carbon while priming the combustion chamber. Clean the plug, check the gap, hit it with carb. cleaner install it and fire it up after you put gas in the gas tank.

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:50PM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

CLR bathroom product best to mix with half water set overnight it rinse out clean next day with garden hose sun dry tank. You put some mix gas as chainsaw gas that oil inside surface tank. It shine when look in tank. Put some CLR in cup for cap cleaning.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 5:22AM
ggoyeneche

I've got a steel tank from an old ALN330 p/n B0435. Parted out the engine because of blown rod. Only saved carburetor, tank, and clutch.

If interested contact me thru the forum, and make an offer.

Bookmark   June 4, 2011 at 12:53PM
More Discussions
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Toro 826 Drive Belt Jumps Off Crankshaft Pulley
Hello, I have a nine year old Toro Powermax 826. Late...
ronpr2112
Mantis tiller will not idle
Picked up a used Mantis (SV-4/A engine) that will just...
ccarlsonnh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™