Type of mulch for a large area with tree swing

Nissan1147April 30, 2014

I'm not sure what type of mulch I should use. We have a large mulched area, approx 25' x 30', around a large maple tree in our front yard that see moderate foot traffic. The area has some perennial type plants (I have no idea what they are) but is mostly open mulch. Last year I hung a nice tree swing, that hangs about 5' from the trunk, that is used heavily by both my and the neighborhood kids. Additionally, this mulched area is also used as a path to the neighbors house.

Since this area is in the front of our house and we live in a nice area I want it to look good; however, I also need it to be able support a bunch of kids constantly walking/playing on it. What type of mulch would you recommend? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

I would probably go with rubber mulch or pebbles like at some playground where the kids play. You don't need it to break down to feed the surrounding area as much as you need it to withstand the traffic and possibly reduce the required maintenance from you, year after year.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:36AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
darth_weeder(z7 NY)

I would put down shredded wood mulch.
Less maintenance and much easier to get rid of if you change your mind or the tree comes down.

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Earth, The Operators Manual
This 3 part series may be of interest to some here. http://www.pbs.org/program/earth-the-operators-manual/ kimmq...
kimmq
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
bread in compost
New to composting and confused now. What is wrong with...
jamb
lobster shells,,,what to do
Tell me what you would do if you had 15 lobster carcasses. We...
flowersnhens
Questions re: raised bed soil + composting/fertilizing
Hi, everyone! Longtime lurker, first time poster here...
Angelina Zarre
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™