tool name

wisterialaneJune 27, 2010

Does anybody happen to know the name in English of this particular tool? I'd be eternally grateful! here it is (used to dig holes in the ground for various purposes, planting poles etc):



Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I couldn't conjure up the picture, but i think you are describing a "Post-hole digger". If it has two long wooden handles, and a half bucket type thing on the end, hinged so they sit opposite of each other, on the ends of the handles--yep--thats a post-hole digger! A good tool for the purpose, but if you have a lot of holes to dig, it might be better to rent a powered post-hole digger.
Pre-dug post holes are available from some place in the Kountry Life section, but i'm not sure of the cost or availability! by: Rusty Jones

    Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 2:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It's called a drain spade.

    Bookmark   June 27, 2010 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masiman(z7 VA)

I couldn't find a drain spade picture to match what the OP posted.

What searches call a drain spade is what I call a transplant spade.

I have not seen anything like that before. I am guessing based on the company you link to that sells that tool plus the design that it is meant to be a type of post hole digger. The company seemed to be a fencing company. The tool looks to have a long heavy handle similar to a landscaper bar. The small head and curved/bent sides along with the heaviness (assumption) would make it suited for using the tool going up and down like a post hole digger. If it is heavy you could go us it near horizontally but it would be less efficient if it is as heavy as I think.

Page 5 of this catalog shows the same type of shovel along with another landscape type bar.

    Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 12:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This is a picture that the OP posted.

    Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 10:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Does look like some type of spade. Not a post hole digger of which there are two basic types. The Clamshell which is most popular and the Boston digger which has a single blade for digging and a clamp for pulling the dirt out of the hole. With any post hole digger you have to have some means of pulling dirt up out of the hole.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post hole diggers

    Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 6:13PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
MTD 8HP SnowBlower
I have an MTD 8hp SnowBlower Mod # 317E640F352. The...
Jeffery Smith
Garage Door Opener Repair tips PT1 long
Hi all, it seems to me that in general GDO posters...
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
Waterproofing a basement
I get water in my basement just about every spring...
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?
I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another...
Sponsored Products
Stealth DC Maiden Bronze One-Light 54-Inch Ceiling Fan
$499.00 | Bellacor
Polaris Pendant by WAC Lighting
$279.00 | Lumens
Anchor Bottle Opener
$6.99 | zulily
Avoca Braided Outdoor Area Rug
$395.00 | FRONTGATE
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Storage Concepts Garage Shelving
Home Depot
King 590TC Flat Sheet - IVORY
$420.00 | Horchow
Authentic Models Bronze Spyglass
Classic Hostess
Shires Equestrian Anti Chafe Overlay Girth - 3566-HAVANA-42
$49.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™