Does anyone grow Fragrant Plum?

sara_ann-z6bokApril 28, 2014

I was wondering if anyone grows Fragrant Plum and how well does it do for you? I have two planted in a bed with other roses that are doing great. They are on opposite ends of a long bed, planted among other varieties that have lots of buds. They don't look unhealthy, they just aren't blooming that much and didn't bloom much last year either. Several years ago I had one that did really well. I am wondering if anyone else has had experience with this variety? I like the rose, just wish it had more blooms.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
charleney(8a PNW)

It grows BIG! I did not have a lot of blooms either. I think I lost it this year, but not sure. Don't give up on yours yet. I really liked the few blooms I had.

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 9:07PM
the_bustopher z6 MO

I have two of these plants. Both took this winter rather hard and got pruned near to the ground. Last year was hard on them because we got a snowstorm and a freeze here in May. I don't know if you got clobbered in Oklahoma or not with a late freeze, but it didn't do anything any good here.

Fragrant Plum seems to do better in cooler weather, and I can see that because it has a variety called "Blue Nile" in its parentage, that may be why it doesn't care for the heat so much. Fragrant Plum is a pretty rose, but it doesn't always bloom a lot.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 12:59AM
newhomeownerNY

I have 2 and the are both on life support, although they are probably dead. Ill give them a few more weeks before I pull the plug on them and plant something more "polar vortex" hardy. It gets tall!

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 7:34AM
More Discussions
Versigny Rose
Hello, I'm awaiting the arrival of my spring order...
twinkletoad
Speckled canes?
Hi all, I was out looking at all the lovely new growth...
Dinglehopp3r z7A. EastTN
climbing roses
I have a 6 foot and 6 foot high chain link that im...
kaesgarden
Wax on rose
In mid-January, I bought a bareroot rose from Lowes...
Gary
Does anyone grow First Prize own-root?
I have seen a huge First Prize plant but don't know...
erasmus_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™