Craftsman String Trimmer

kenmist8193(7)June 30, 2014

My gas trimmer Model 358.795521 has stopped "trimming". The trimmer head doesn't rotate when motor is running and trigger is activated. The trimmer head can be spun by hand which probably means it is not in contact with the trimmer shaft. I have removed the trimmer shaft from the motor and pulled the shaft from the housing. It is not broken and appears to be undamaged. Both ends look good, no indication of either being stripped or rounded. When trying to insert the shaft back into the housing at the trimmer head or bottom, it doesn't insert all the way. That leaves about one inch extended at the top of the shaft which I think should be flush with the top of the housing. Since the housing is recessed into the motor which would still allow the shaft to contact the upper joint to connect properly. I'm not sure if the problem isn't the gear box itself? Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Can you post some pictures or take closer looks first. I question a piece of shaft being broken clean that is not noticeable.

1. Is it a flexible cable type shaft with square ends or solid with splines?? Either way look for a clean break.
2. Look in the motorâÂÂs clutch hub and the stringâÂÂs head close for a piece of shaft.
3. Start the engine and see if it is powering the clutch shaft that the shaft fits into.
4. I feel it is the light flex cable shaft, fold it and wire the ends side-by-side and take a Pic and post it.
5. Send clear close-ups Pics where the shaft fits in the clutch and spool.

Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
Craftsman Snowblower Recall
Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail...
pjrsjr
Poulan Pro rear tine tiller, burnt valve??
I have a 6.5 Intec Briggs on my tiller, which is 10...
slowpoke_gardener
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™