Moved roses-oops?

bitbitApril 26, 2012

I moved two rose bushes in mid March when the weather was warm-mid 60's- a 15 year old Heritage and a 6 year old Knockout. Of course the weather dipped to 20 degrees at night after that. I haven't seen any growth at all and was wondering if there is hope for them. They had a tiny bit of growth at the time and look like they are in suspended animation. I watered because it was so dry and we finally got some good rain. I'll be patient and just leave them another month. I guess I'm looking for a ray of hope.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

They should be fine. The cold weather is causing them to wait a little. A month of average spring temps and rain will cause them to grow normally.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 11:10PM
strawchicago 5a IL(zone 5a)

You moved your roses just the right time. I moved my Knock-out in June last year. It was bad: lost all the leaves, and it took at least 2 months to grow them back.

My tiny-root 13 bands in the pots were not growing until I gave them SOLUBLE fertilizer. MiracleGro makes a good soluble rose food 18-24-16, with potassium phosphate (less salt). But I would use 1/2 the dose on a recently moved rose.

I get faster growth with Schultz 32-10-10 fast acting water soluble, higher in nitrogen with all the trace elements. You only use 1 teaspoon for 1 gallon of water. This soluble Schultz helps with chlorosis (yellowing) in alkaline soil.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 10:22AM
bitbit

Thanks so much for the encouragement. If gardening teaches you nothing else it teaches you patience. I'm willing to wait it out...meanwhile we're supposed to have hard frosts the next 3 nights. All the plants have to be confused.

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
Photo-Cl. Butterscotch
This is a test to see if I can post on Houzz. A favorite...
James_Shaw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™