campanula Elizabeth

denidillMay 20, 2010

I received a campanula 'Elizabeth' from a friend as a gift, but am concerned about planting it. Every campanula I have ever had went rampant through my garden. Some more than others ... if this one is fairly well behaved, it would be great to have it cover some bare areas. What are you experiences with it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newbiehavinfun(7a - Southern NJ)

Rut roh. I just planted glomerata and persicifolia. Did I just set myself up for headaches? (Sorry I can't answer about Elizabeth as I've not tried it).

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 12:59PM
denidill

I have c. glomerata and it is very well behaved. Yes, it does spread, but in a good way. Maybe it depends on the zone ... we have some really cold weather here. That said, I have put in other campanulas and I regretted it.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 1:11PM
ninamarie(4Ont.)

Campanula 'Elizabeth' is rampant in my gardens. However, it blooms, and blooms nicely, in dry shade, where little else will grow.
I don't think you'll regret C. glomerata or C. persicifolia. The latter reseeds a lot, but I like it, and deadheading would resolve that problem. C. glomerata has never spread here.
C. 'Elizabeth' is stoloniferous and will colonize as much area as it is allowed to. That said, it's very pretty, and some serious hoeing and digging will keep it in check.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 1:41PM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Campanula takesimana 'Elizabeth', or Campanula cochlearifolia 'Elizabeth Oliver'?

Any of the takesimana will be spreaders. C. cochlearifolia Elizabeth Oliver is a slow spreader in my clay soil with regular water, mild climate. It politely spreads around, tucking in and out of other perennials, is shallowly rooted and never a nuisance. Have to say, I've never taken a hoe to it, but I do lift small pieces from the outer edges with a trowel and move them to where I would like more of this 3" (in bloom, 1/2" when not) charmer.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 3:42PM
capecodder(z6 MA)

I'M TRYING to get rid of that darned Elizabeth! She has self seeded all over the place and roots pretty strongly. I would not recommend planting her unless you want something to take up a lot of space.

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 7:57PM
denidill

it would be the takesimana. I am hoping that our cool summers prevent it from spreading as vigorously compared to milder climates. Hmmm. I will have to think about this!

Bookmark   May 20, 2010 at 11:33PM
wieslaw59

In my opinion both C. takesimana and glomerata should be banned or be sold with a BIG BLINKING RED WARNING. Both of them are impossible to remove once they are in the middle of another plant(I don't use chemicals),unless you dig it up and wash the roots, pulling all the pieces of the campanulas out. It took me years to kill C.glomerata(I hope it will not come back). C.takesimana was a little easier to get rid of.

Bookmark   August 3, 2011 at 6:08PM
More Discussions
liatris bulbs
I just bought bulbs. Can I start them in a pot now...
sorie6
Trying any new perennials this year?
Just wondering what new perenniaks everyone is trying...
bellarosa
Off to Paris!
Hello Fellow Perennial Fanatics, :) I'm off to Paris...
steve1young
Achillea sun requirements
I planted a couple of these last year and they were...
DandyLioness (CA 9, SZ 14)
Im looking for rare edible perennials for zone 5
I want things that require vary little work and do...
grannypeck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™