tree protection tubes

treenutt(8)January 16, 2011

anyone have any exprience with these tubes? What brand is better? I am thinking about buy a few and wanted some opinions. Thanks. Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

if you were to give us a better idea of the application you are wishing to address.. we might be able to more fully answer your question ...

4 inch perforated drain pipe ... can work for larger trees ...

ken

Bookmark   January 17, 2011 at 9:12AM
gopher14

Hi treenutt,
In my opinion the best tree tubes on the market are the Tubex Combitube Treeshelters: Easy to install, vented for better growth, very durable. Cost a little more (not much) but worth it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wilson Tree Tubes

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 4:12PM
pineresin

"and wanted some opinions"

Nasty plastic litter that spoils the landscape and harms wildlife. Often with the remains of a dead tree in the middle.

Resin

Bookmark   January 18, 2011 at 7:04PM
scotjute

The trees I've seen grown in them seemed a bit spindly. Prefer to grow trees in the open.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 11:37AM
MisterTristern

Yes, knowing the application would help tremendously. For a squirrel deterrent, its possible simply to roll sheet metal into an appropriatly sized tube. Let us know.

Bookmark   January 20, 2011 at 5:14PM
gopher14

scotjute - Yes, at the point in time when trees emerge from tree tubes they have thinner stems than open grown trees. However, 1) this has changed thanks to research on vented tree tubes which promote more diameter growth in the tube, and 2) after the trees emerge they quickly add stem caliper to come back into balance. I guess it depends on what you are comparing. Compared to an open grown tree that is not browsed by deer or rabbits, not subject to moisture stress and not threatened by weed competition, I'll take the open grown tree. Compared to the more common reality of heavy deer browse, drought stress, and not being able to find or weed around your trees due to competing weeds/brush, I'll take the tree in a tree tube. If you can successfully go from seedling to tree without tree tubes there's no reason to use them. Tree tubes are for the folks who literally wouldn't be able to grow trees with today's historically high deer populations, unpredictable weather and invasive/exotic weed competitors.

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 1:16PM
Dan Staley

For revegetation work with deer problems, tree tubes are great.
That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! Several varieties out there at the usual arborist/landscape/reveg/conservation supply catalogs.

Dan

Bookmark   February 23, 2011 at 1:45PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

I know what you mean, esin. I hate those spiral guards which litter some woodland and municipal plantings. But in a wood with a large roe deer population young trees don't stand a chance without a tree guard. I cut them away once the tree is above deer browse height. I use a mesh guard because I am not concerned with increasing growth, only protection from deer.

I grow my own trees from seed so I don't want lose them after all that time invested. I use my own copppice for the stakes.

Here is a link that might be useful: tree guards

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 7:41AM
Dan Staley

I use my own copppice for the stakes.

I do the same thing. Great minds think alike! ;o)

Dan

Bookmark   February 24, 2011 at 9:39AM
chris_wilsonirr_com

Dan & Flora - Great minds do think alike - I think growing trees directly from seed is the absolute best way to go (funny how long it takes us to figure out that Mother Nature had the right idea all along!). Planting acorns, chestnuts or walnuts directly and then protecting with tree tubes is a dynamite combination. I have seen direct seeded black walnuts emerge from 4ft tree tubes the first season, and outgrow bare root seedlings planted at the same time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Tubes

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 4:51PM
gopher14

There have been several posts on this thread about growing trees from seed - in my opinion the best way to go! Just a reminder to all of those interested in growing trees directly from acorns/walnuts/chestnuts, etc: Seed drop time is coming, so pick out your favorite trees and keep an eye on them to see when seeds will drop... because you'll be racing the squirrels, jays, wild turkeys, deer etc. to get your share. After that, learn what treatment they need in order to germinate - many need a cold treatment to break dormancy - to mimic the winter they would undergo on the forest floor - so keeping them in a zip lock bag in the fridge works well. When it's time to plant be sure to protect them with tree tubes. Often direct seeded acorns or black walnuts will outgrow those planted as seedlings!

Bookmark   September 6, 2011 at 6:12PM
More Discussions
Maple woes
I had a Trident maple planted (poorly) in my yard at...
cajunladyintx
White spruce - one side of bark decaying
This tree still looks healthy all the way up, it's...
qwertyjjj
2015 Midatlantic/SE/New England winter damage thread
I don't mean to exclude the midwest but I think for...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
?? What tree is this?
This is in my garden, I have looked but cannot be sure...
polkadoll
Tree Planted Too Deep - Too Late To Raise
Hi all, I've been searching for some guidance on this...
damonb10
Sponsored Products
Spiral Wall Sconce by ET2 Lighting
$84.00 | Lumens
12" Cardinal Tube Bird Feeder
Signature Hardware
Kichler Bronze Up/Down Wet Location 15" High Tube Light
Lamps Plus
Lithonia Lighting 4-Light Flush-Mount Fluorescent Light 11644RE WH
Home Depot
Tube Brushed Nickel LED Wall Sconce
$230.00 | Bellacor