Deep Cycle Batteries

exmarJune 10, 2012

Hi Folks,

May be off topic here, but guessing a lot of you have boats. I decided to get my fishing boat out of the barn and into the water. Gotta replace the trolling motor battery as the one in it is definitely toast. Haven't had the boat in the water for 4 years, now we have time to rectify that situation.

I'm out of contact with the deep cycle battery market, what's a "reasonable" battery these days? Googled and came up with "around $200" to under $100-Wally world naturally. The Wally world one had good reviews and the price is more in line with what I remember.

Boat batteries are a particular nemesis of mine. You buy a new one, use it all summer, then it sits all winter, trickle charge it, deep cycle discharge it, etc. And a year (or two If you're lucky) you get to buy another one. Yeah, I know it's due to the plate construction being set up for lower and extended amp draws than a conventional one, but I don't have to like it!!!! :-)

Any advice?

Ev

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

Usually I use Exide or any Premium Spiral wound Deep Cycle Battery . Trickle Charge when not in use get 8-10 yrs normally .

Bookmark   June 10, 2012 at 7:11PM
exmar

Thanks, I'll look into those. Looks like I'll be spending more than I want, however with the life expectancy you've mentioned it would be worth it.

Thanks again,

Ev

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 2:06PM
ewalk

If you check around often Optimium Batterys are on sale , yes more expensive but they are much better quality then the lead cell units .

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:28PM
More Discussions
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
Older Troy Built Tiller Model ID
Trying to indentify model number of my unit. It is...
gardenerfrank
Electric shredder motor will switch on but won't spin the blades
Hello, I have an electric garden shredder that will...
Lindsay Durdle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™