John Deere weed eater won't crank

wakebdr(ATL)June 6, 2010

I have a John Deere power head with all the attachments that won't crank. It's about ten years old and all of a sudden just decided to stop on its own. I was running it when it just throttled down and stopped just like I had hit the kill switch. Now it won't start at all. It's rather tricky because it has no choke anymore since it broke off a few years ago. I normally prime it with the bulb and then throttle it while I pull the crank to "choke" it. Then it will start right up after a minute or so of that. But for the life of me I cannot get it to start anymore.

I'm by no means an engine guy, but are there a couple things that I should check out myself?

Also I'm debating buying a new power head to run my attachments or getting individual units if this turns out to be tango uniform.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
strelnikov(NE IL)

I have one of these (also a John Deere) about the same age. Mine would not start no matter what I did, it had both spark and fuel. It finally started running when I took off the muffler and cleaned out the spark arrester screen with compressed air. I've had several small two-stoke engines fail to start and run because the spark arrester was plugged.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
troy bilt horse question
Went to check the transmission fluid today and noticed...
snuffyinatl
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Sears air compressor engine won't run when plugged in
Sears Paint Sprayer/Air Compressor Model No. 106.153542...
Cletus77
Best gas leaf blower?
Can anyone recommend a good gas powered leaf blower?...
robar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™