Ryobi Attachments with Echo/Stihl

steveg66(IN Zone 5)June 10, 2005

Has anyone been able to use the attachments from Ryobi on their Stihl or Echo powerheads? I have checked with a local store and they weren't sure. I am looking to replace the power and thought it would make sense to try to go heavier duty with the more commercial units. I hate to throw or get rid of the attachments that I have.

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

Check the tube diameter and design of the shaft vs the coupler. They may interchange but I doubt it

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 9:18AM
steveg66(IN Zone 5)

I was thinking they wouldn't also, just thought someone would have tried this already and saved me the embarassment. When I get time, I'll post my results....

Bookmark   June 12, 2005 at 8:15PM
akent

Did anyone ever get the answer to this question? I have a Ryobi 1079r that died (bad carb) this past fall, and I really don't want to toss my investment in attachments. Now, it's my understanding that the following WILL work with the TrimmerPlus attachments:

Ryobi (MTD)
Troy-Bilt (MTD)
Craftsman (??)
Homelite (??)
Poulan Pro (??)

In the end, I just want to be sure I get a good quality powerhead to replace the junk Ryobi, so while an Echo would be REALLY nice, I'd settle for a Poulan, if I knew that it was worth the $$.

Ideas, input, or advice??

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 10:13AM
giventake(9)

It's been my experience the normal wearout parts for crapsman products you have to buy from sears, it's speced that way to make profits...

Bookmark   January 29, 2006 at 2:56PM
slimmarks(NC)

i was recently facing the same problem. powerhead failure. i found an cub cadet trimmer that took all the attachments.
ive heard that efco makes cub cadets 2 cycle motors . if thats the case ,id be very happy ,as the efco stuff has a good record
for me. id be interested in hearing from anyone confirming that efco is producing cub cadet 2 cycle motors.i have an 962 efco saw that is tops in my book.

Bookmark   January 31, 2006 at 4:31PM
akent

Well, I'd certainly get a Cub if that were the case. What model did you get? I also heard that Poulan makes a decent powerhead -- at least better than anything you'd find compared to Ryobi, etc.

However, if you look at http://www.mtdproducts.com, you'll see that MTD owns Cub Cadet.

Would still love to use an Echo or Stihl with these TrimmerPlus attachments...

Bookmark   February 2, 2006 at 7:59AM
akent

Update:

I spoke with a neighbor last night who has tried matching the Stihl powerhead with the TrimmerPlus attachments, who verfied that the interfaces are NOT compatible.

At this point, it looks like the best options for a powerhead would be Poulan Pro or Deere, as both are NOT built by MTD.

Bookmark   February 6, 2006 at 1:28PM
akent

Another update:

A Stihl FS 85T recently found it's way to my door and, on a whim, I tried my old Ryobi attachments (blower, trimmer, edger). Much to my surprise, they actually worked. I know, everyone says that they don't, but I'm here to tell you that the units engaged properly in my cursory testing.

Upon closer inspection, both the Stihl and Ryobi/Troy-Bilt/Deere/etc. attachments utilize a square shaft assembly, although the Stihl shaft is longer and incorporates a round "pilot", assumably for easier engagement.

In fact, all 3 of my current attachments actually worked, although I only tested the blower under load. I'm a little skeptical that the shaft is engaged fully, due to some external screws that prevent the Roybi attachments from seating deeply into the power-head.

Bookmark   February 25, 2006 at 7:04PM
bas157

My local Lowes had a Cub Cadet on clearance for about $70, down from ~$130 (i think those prices are correct). It was a curved shaft unit though.
I looked at a Cub Cadet at a TSC a few years ago and it looked the same as a Ryobi, just different colors.

Bookmark   February 26, 2006 at 9:52PM
everysandwich

I'm on the same mission as you, Akent, more or less. I want a nice commercial grade 4-cycle powerhead for my Ryobi attachments, one that meets CA emissions. I see at Lowe's the Troy bilt stuff is compatible with many heads that you noted. Does Troy Bilt make a powerhead of commercial quality? Any further testing of the Stihl head with Ryobi attachments?

Bookmark   May 11, 2006 at 11:09PM
deerslayer(Z5 NE IL KBG)

I've noticed that the new Ryobi gas trimmers accept Expand-it attachments and the older Ryobis accept TrimmerPlus attachments. I don't know if the two types are interchangeable.

In addition to Troy-Bilt which is an MTD brand, Homelite powerheads accept Expand-it attachments. Cub Cadet also is built by MTD. I don't know if the Cub trimmers accept attachments.

-Deerslayer

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 12:15AM
deerslayer(Z5 NE IL KBG)

I went to the Homelite site and none of their current trimmers accept attachments. The Lowes salesman said that Homelites accepted Expand-it attachments...maybe I didn't hear him correctly.

-Deerslayer

Bookmark   May 12, 2006 at 1:06AM
lwmcbride

I have some money invested in Ryobi attachments, and didn't want to stay with the Ryobi brand after having three bad Ryobi trimmers. I can tell you that the Ryobi attachments that I own worked fine on the Craftsman trimmer that I bought. In fact, the Ryobi leaf blower was on it when it was stolen out of my truck, a week after I bought it. Just bought a Stihl split-shaft head, and am planning to try the Ryobi trimmer head on it as well.

Bookmark   July 7, 2010 at 6:27PM
macearth_cox_net

I took my ryobi 4 stroke powerhead back in to home depot. It wouldn't keep running at wide open. I had the MTD 4 cycle and attachments that fit the Ryobi, that's why I bought it... but..... I am going to make the Echo head I just bought fit the expand-it line. The inner core is still a square... but the tube diameter is just a little smaller on the echo. So out come the power tools and I'm going to open up the connector a bit to fit the expand-it stuff. I've got the straight weed wacker, chainsaw with extension and tiller. Drop me a line if you've done this or are thinking about it. macearth (at) cox (dot) net

Bookmark   February 18, 2011 at 3:02PM
dokman

I have a Stihl split shaft trimmer and 2 dead Ryobi's w/ attachments. Ryobi tube size is the same, just flex shaft reveal is 1/2" short. I didnt care if I wrecked the Ryobi blower so I took the Dremel and trimmed off a 1/2" off the tube, giving it the same length of exposed pring shaft as the Stihl attachments. Might not have a round lead in section but it works fine. Saved me $100, I like the Ryobi blower cause it vacuums too with a bag and Stihls doesnt.
Shortening the edger aint worth the bother. Ryobi edgers are absolute crap once you use the Stihl. Doesnt clog, fasteners dont loosen, cuts easy and twice as easy to use.
After trimming once or twice with the Stihl, the 4 stroke Ryobi should have been shytcanned years earlier, heck never should ahave bought it. World of a difference. Never buy cheap stuff, you pay twice in the long run.

Bookmark   October 17, 2014 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
Old Troybilt Tiller Engine Replacement
I need to replace the eninge on my Troybilt tiller...
themaniam1
Tecumseh snow king fuel starvation?
My Tecumseh powered Toro snowblower hunts/surges and...
akachrisinmass
Dewalt 3800 pressure washer, open hole between pump and engine.
Hi, I just bought a dewalt 3800 pressure washer gx...
ron111
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
Sponsored Products
Brunswick Burnished Gold One-Light Sconce with Florentine Scavo Glass
$92.90 | Bellacor
Malibu 72" Double Bathroom Vanity Set by Wyndham Collection - Gray Oak Finish wi
Modern Bathroom
Classic Copper Patio Torch with Medieval Wall Bracket - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware
Ango | Dapple Floor Lamp
YLighting
Legato Outdoor Torch
$129.00 | FRONTGATE
Lytecaster 5 Inch Deep Anodized Reflector Trim
Lightology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™