Anyone use rootwell product ?

clbravo(z8 LA)January 17, 2008

A local grower recommended this product which recently got picked up by rainbird. It is a conical shaped device 18 inches to 36 inches long, perforated that ideally put in at time of planting a new tree. It is suppose to provide supperior access to roots for oxygen, water and nutrients. I just bought 35 trees to be planted and am interested in insuring my investment with this product.

Clint

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Not familiar with this product but first glance leaves me wary. Animation makes it look like a sort of air-pruning pot stuck in the ground in its effects. Without investigating further am left wondering are the trees expected to root through the well, into the normal conditions on the other side? What happens then?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rootwell

Bookmark   January 19, 2008 at 3:02AM
clbravo(z8 LA)

bboy,

You are suppose to space 3 perforated tubes around the newly planted tree. I think the roots would grow between and around each one which are to be permanent. Rainbird picked this product up and installed bubblers in each, which for me isn't practical on acreage. Also, Rainbird is pricing too high for mass planting. I think that Rootwell might not be operating anymore since I tried to order and doesn't have payment information. The fax is another business and e-mail bounced. Too bad, got me all interested and now they aren't around.

Clint

Bookmark   January 19, 2008 at 2:21PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Animation showing roots going deep was first red flag. Roots fan out through the soil, watering (or fertilizing) in columns doesn't allow for where roots are. Should be better to lay out bubblers and water the soil surface, without "wells".

Bookmark   January 19, 2008 at 3:11PM
More Discussions
Who has snow?
Post your snowy garden pics. (Locally, almost none...
subtropix
Ilex x 'Scepter' -- anyone growing this?
Is anyone growing Ilex x 'Scepter'? It just looks like...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
500 ft Privacy Fence/Screen trees advise
I have a very large property line that I would like...
zrodimel
What does it mean if a tree is "vigorous"?
For example, "This tree tends to be less vigorous...
tlbean2004
I have some extra Q. Fusi/ Virginiana? acorns
I got these acorns from Ebay. They don't look like...
poaky1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™