AMES Garden Tools & Reccomendations?

cpgaJune 3, 2010

What is with AMES having a monopoly on Garden tools @ Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, & ACE? I wanted to buy a nice garden hoe and this was the only brand either store carried. Obviously, they wont carry top of the line stuff, but from reviews that I have read, the AMES garden hoes are crap quality. Can anybody recommend a good brand for garden hoes(grub hoe to be exact)? Has anybody used Belloto products?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kentc80

I have never been fond of Ames, myself, from personal experience. None of the stores you listed surprise me as far as only carrying Ames, with the exception of Ace. I am somewhat bumfuzzled by that. My only suggestion would be to continue searching at the smallest of hardware stores. You may have to look in some of your smaller surrounding towns. I personally shop two small hardware stores in my area and never have any trouble finding quality gardening tools. But then again, I try to stay away from those first three stores "as much as possible" and give my money to the little guys. One of my personal favorite brands of tools is True Temper, which I have found out as I speak, is an Ames brand! I guess Ames does carry a good line of tools after all. I hope this has been of some assistance.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 2:46AM
cpga

Yeah I went to some mom&pop store that I thought was affiliated with Ace, so maybe im wrong. I darted in there real quick. But either way, yeah they carried Ames and some other name brand I never heard of.
Thanks for replying. I'm starting to think Vigoro, True Temper, and Ames are all under the same umbrella. I'm quite surprised that Home Depot doesn't carry a Vigoro garden hoe. I know Vigoro isn't the best but it sure is sufficient quality considering the cost benefit. I'll keep on looking. Thanks.

Bookmark   June 5, 2010 at 8:49AM
evdpgh

Lee Valley Tools out of Canada have about a dozen different patterns of hoes. Most of their tools are top quality. Prices start at about $25. and go up to about $50. plus shipping, but no tax.

In defense of Home Depot et.al., I doubt if many of their customers want to pay $25. let alone $50. for a hoe.

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 5:24PM
More Discussions
Temperature alarm app for Android?
I am wondering if anyone knows of an Android app that...
armbarangel
Backpack Leaf Blowers
I have been looking around at backpack leaf blowers,...
OutdoorGuy1
General craftsman tiller gearbox question.
Ages ago in the early 90's, I bought a Craftsman 5hp...
bliackbeard
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
loger_gw
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
svachon
Sponsored Products
English Garden Bustan Pillow 20"Sq. - MULTI COLORS
$200.00 | Horchow
Square Black Planter
$329.00 | Horchow
30-Inch Black Home Decor Table Lamp
$135.95 | Bellacor
White Toy Box
$79.99 | zulily
Beehive Copper Garden Torch with Scroll Yard Stake - Antique Copper
Signature Hardware