troy bilt tiller help

mfredzuesJune 1, 2011

i have a 6 hp tecumseh horse model that i bought new in 1974/1975 serial number 412323. the engine is on its last leg i cant find any engine #s anywhere no decals nothing. i need to get new engine for it but tulsa engine needs #s to recomend a replacement any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

With a forum friend's advice I just installed a 6 1/2HP HF engine on my horse.All you need is a 3/4"IDx 1/8" thick shim to put between the pulley and crankshaft shoulder for pulley alignment. Drill the engine mount holes on the tiller out 1/16" for hole alignment and 4 8mmx1.25 pitch x 1 1/2" bolts for engine mounting. You have to fill the crankcase slightly over full to keep the low oil shutoff from killing it. My friend has used his this way for 1 1/2 yrs. I had to go w/ a slightly longer 5/16" bolt to hold the pulley on the crankshaft.
HTH,
Mike

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:38PM
slowpoke_gardener

I was at Harbor Freight about a week ago and they were closing out the Greyhound 6.5 hp for about $75.00

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 10:19AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

HF did away with Greyhound engine Predator engine took its place There should be coupon to help with new price Predator engine last I heard with coupon cost was 129.00

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Reciprocating Saw
I am looking to buy a reciprocating saw. I am not looking...
pirate94
Troy Bilt Horse Drive Shaft Bearings
I took my horse apart because the front transmission...
gildomilo
Predator 212cc Engine, Harbor Freight FYI
Hi Folks, Been thinking of getting one of these for...
exmar
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Snow Thrower impeller
I have a Craftsman 9 hp dual stage snow thrower, that...
fjs001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™