troy bilt tiller help

mfredzuesJune 1, 2011

i have a 6 hp tecumseh horse model that i bought new in 1974/1975 serial number 412323. the engine is on its last leg i cant find any engine #s anywhere no decals nothing. i need to get new engine for it but tulsa engine needs #s to recomend a replacement any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mla2ofus

With a forum friend's advice I just installed a 6 1/2HP HF engine on my horse.All you need is a 3/4"IDx 1/8" thick shim to put between the pulley and crankshaft shoulder for pulley alignment. Drill the engine mount holes on the tiller out 1/16" for hole alignment and 4 8mmx1.25 pitch x 1 1/2" bolts for engine mounting. You have to fill the crankcase slightly over full to keep the low oil shutoff from killing it. My friend has used his this way for 1 1/2 yrs. I had to go w/ a slightly longer 5/16" bolt to hold the pulley on the crankshaft.
HTH,
Mike

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:38PM
slowpoke_gardener

I was at Harbor Freight about a week ago and they were closing out the Greyhound 6.5 hp for about $75.00

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 10:19AM
gator_rider2(z8 Ga.)

HF did away with Greyhound engine Predator engine took its place There should be coupon to help with new price Predator engine last I heard with coupon cost was 129.00

Bookmark   June 3, 2011 at 7:11PM
More Discussions
Electrolytic Rust Removal
Has anyone tried this, using a battery charger, "washing...
exmar
Testing the new format X allowing multiple attachments.
I am back to two Lexan chain guides due to a chain...
loger_gw
Troy Bilt Pony Tiller
I have a Troy Bilt Pony Tiller with a 5 HP Briggs and...
beeer_2008
Kohler K181 valve clearance
The engine would run perfect for maybe 30-45 minutes,...
snuffyinatl
2 stroke Mantis tiller vs. 4 stroke Mantis
I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but...
lil_rhody
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™