A watermelon "plugger"

Noteybook(5)June 27, 2014

What I have in this picture is something called a watermelon plugger, where I've found in a VERY old fashioned store. You stick it in the melon, twist, turn, and take out a piece to try.

I have never heard, seen, or been able to find anything remotely like it.

I was wondering if there was another name it goes by, or something else-I mean, from my understanding this tool is around 60 years old, and I can't seem to find any sort of info about it.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, I just didn't know where else to post it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It could be used for carving fruit also.

    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 9:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Interesting. In pre WWII days, watermelons were plugged at farm stands/fruit markets so that the buyer was assured of a good melon. Faded into the past with the advent of super markets. Usually the tool was a big pocket knife. Thta device would be a lot quicker.

    Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 7:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I had a relatively country-boy friend from Michigan point out it looks like a seed sower-and, after searching, there are some with that similar cone shape.

The place it's from, farmerdill, is a super old fashioned place. They assure quality, let you taste test melons(and some apples, grapes, or other small things if you ask nice). They don't know where they got this from, but supposedly it was from the original owner who also owned peach trees and sold local peaches.

I'm just curious, there seems like there'd be a lot of history behind this and I'm having trouble finding it.

    Bookmark   June 29, 2014 at 8:20AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I would also try in the Vegetable Gardening forum.


    Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 1:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

It looks like a rope splicing tool. Are the edges very sharp?


    Bookmark   June 30, 2014 at 2:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The edges have some teeth to them, but they're not very sharp. I'd say similar to a butterknife.

    Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 9:11AM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Looking for a new "top box" for my tool chest.
My old one died of old, old age and I didn't replace...
Deep Spader
Has anyone used a deep spader? How did you like it?...
What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?
I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs...
1983 troy-bilt cultivator plus wheels
Read with great interest all the posts so far for the...
Backpack Leaf Blowers
I have been looking around at backpack leaf blowers,...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™