A plant for the end of your downspout ...

woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)May 22, 2011

... or other wet spot.

Astilboides tabularis (shieldleaf) is a fabulous plant that should be used more often I think. It loves wet places and makes a perfect plant to place near the end of a downspout where water supply is readily available. It's supposed to be a full sun or partial shade plant; mine are growing in partial to full shade.

You really grow these for the magnificent foliage although they do produce spires of creamy-white astilbe-like (hence their botanical name) flowers in early July. They are not a vigorous spreader like many of the other big-leafed plants for damp spots. The more water they get, the bigger the leaves are. I have one growing at the end of our downspout; one across from the neighbour's downspout that is close to our fence; one the oak canopy, not too far away from the 'wet corner' garden. There is a considerable difference in size between the first two and the third one which gets less mosture. Here's what they look like this morning:

These are the two by the downspouts (our downspout runs under the path and emerges by the fence; the neighbour's drains towards us about 10" from the fence):

This is the one that gets less moisture and you can see how much smaller it is:

This is a closer view of the leaves:

The leaves are not quite full-grown yet.

If you want a showy but well-behaved plant for a wet place, I recommend this one! It's supposed to be hardy in zones 3-9 but needs more shade in hotter areas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harvwald(z5 IL)

Great information, thanks! By the way, what is that cute little animal you can partially see in the first photo?!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 3:56PM
woodyoak zone 5 Canada(5b)

That's Misty, an ~11 year-old Lhasa Apso (she was a rescued dog so we're not totally sure of her age...) I took the picture with her in it so she's a bit of a scale figure to give a better sense of the size of the leaves.

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 5:40PM
harvwald(z5 IL)

How sweet. Using her for scale helps, too!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 5:59PM
thisismelissa(z4a-S Twin Cities MN)

Wow! I would LOVE to make a concrete leaf casting of that plant! It would make a fantastic bird bath!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 9:19PM
sweet_melissa(7)

I agree! Great Melissa's think alike!

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 10:45PM
gottagarden(z5 western NY)

great idea! I've had astilboides for 3 years and it has been so small. I'm moving it by the downspout now!

Bookmark   May 23, 2011 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
E-mail from GW?
Did anyone else get an e-mail that was supposedly generated...
mxk3
How about 'SUPERthrive'?
Anybody use this stuff? I bought it but not sure if...
casi
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Please tell me about baptisia?
I've occasionally seen these plants in local gardens,...
twrosz
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™