Mystery perennial

weedlady(Central OH 6)May 26, 2013

OK--I planted something new from seed a couple of springtimes ago and (surprise!) neglected to label it. It is lovely and has come up in spring since. It is neither obedient plant nor a snapdragon. Can someone please tell me what it is?? I want to plant more! Many thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karin_mt(4 MT)

Penstemon. Not exactly sure which one, but it looks similar to the 'Navigator' series. I love penstemon and they are a mainstay in our perennial beds. Love that luscious pink color you got there!

Bookmark   May 26, 2013 at 2:07PM
weedlady(Central OH 6)

OH! (Slapping forehead) Penstemon! Of course--thanks Karin! I have Husker's Red and foxglove beardtongue but they are quite tall. This little guy hugs the ground at only about 8-10". Definitely got to find that seed packet & plant more!! Terrific edging plant and very drought tolerant (I never get out to that front flower bed!)

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 9:18AM
karin_mt(4 MT)

Yup, I'm with you on the appreciation for drought tolerance. Over time I add more and more of them because they are so easy and reliable. Some types self-seed which is useful. They don't spread obnoxiously though, which I definitely appreciate. Let me know when you do find the seed packet and what they are called, because I could use some in that cheerful color, so cute!

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 10:08AM
linlily(z5/6PA)

I agree with karin. Please let us know the variety. I love the size of the plant and the color too.

Linda

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 3:26PM
weedlady(Central OH 6)

Alas, Penstemon fans... I have searched thru my seed stash and cannot find even an empty pkt of penstemon seed, so I don't know what I planted.
I tried a search using Google images and closest I can come is Penstemon barbatus Pina Colada Deep Rose.
The description seems to match what I have. One site I visited indicated it may be propagated from non-blooming stems using rooting hormone & moist sand. I'll be trying that!
http://www.hardyplants.com/seeds/P2VD-A8.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Possibly my Penstemon

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Would you be willing to share your favorite plant markers?
I've been eyeing the copper and zinc ones but just...
oldbat2be
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
daves10
Mason Bees)
Does anyone here encourage Mason Bees to stick around...
mikerno_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™