Will Flour Hurt my Compost?

Angeline84(2b)April 5, 2012

Hi guys - does anyone have any experience composting flour? I have some flour that got some little buggies in it, so I plan on composting it but am not sure if I should just dump it all in at once or maybe add it throughout when I turn my pile or add a handful here and there over time? I don't want it to mix with the moisture and create some sort of gross compost-dough!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Flour is good for composting, just mix it in with everything else. You have flour weevils.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 3:07PM
2ajsmama

What about rancid wheat flour or oats?

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 3:41PM
joepyeweed(5b IL)

It won't hurt. That's how I get rid of my buggy flour.

Rancid is okay for compost too.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 4:15PM
toxcrusadr Clay Soil(Zone 6a - MO)

If it grew on a plant, it can be composted.

Now, if annpat were here, we could recommend making some bread out of it first, and then getting it all SOGGY with water before putting it in. She positively LOVES that. But alas, haven't seen her for awhile...

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 6:20PM
Angeline84(2b)

Shhhh don't tell annpat I also have moldy bread and stale tortilas in my compost...

Thanks for the re-assurance everyone. I plan on turning the pile tonight so I think I'll try to distribute the flour throughout.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 6:46PM
annpat(5-Maine)

Ohhh, a couple of sneaks, eh? You know, Angeline, if you were to run outside right now, you might be able to retrieve the bread and tortillas before anything too disgusting happens. Is it dark where you are? Better take a flashlight.
Tox, it hurt my heart (and sickened my stomach) how you capitalized the word 'SOGGY'. I've never known you to be unkind before.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 7:48PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The only way flour could be a problem would be if one plunked down several inches of wet flour and allowed that to dry into paste. Small amounts (5 pounds or less in most compost piles) well mixed in will not be a problem.
One easy way to keep the flour weevils from infesting your flour is to keep it in the freezer. FDA rules allow some small amount of insect eggs and feces to be in the flour you buy. They say it is too expensive to eliminate all of that.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 7:18AM

I'm imagining a compost bin with a giant monstrous dough ball expanding through all the vents and lifting the lid, like The Blob! It would make a hilarious composting video.

Sorry annpat, I didn't know you were listening! heehee

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 10:24AM
Jon_dear(4/5)

funny I mentioned annpat the other day and look who's here in a thread about wet bread and dough... lol

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 11:01AM
annpat(5-Maine)

I saw you, Jon, dear. You made me sound so manipulative. ;^)

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 11:10AM
Jon_dear(4/5)

nah, Just smart.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 11:13AM
Angeline84(2b)

Kimmsr, I've heard of keeping flour in the freezer before. I think I'll have to give it a try.

It's not much flour I'll be composting - I'm not good with weight, but I'd say it's maybe 4 cups. I also imagined some horrible type of expanding compost dough that would take over everything, but I doubt that will be a problem :)

It's been very rainy here (even some snow), so I haven't had a chance to go put it in there yet. My apologies to Annpat for once again resurrecting the great soggy bread debate!

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 5:28PM
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

I have composted a whole bag of flour and I mixed it up, not a problem, no goo at all.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 6:53PM
greenhavenrdgarden

I so wish I didn't read this thread. I will never use flower again without thinking about the 'allowed' eggs/feces. Gross!!!!! Lol.

Bookmark   April 6, 2012 at 8:33PM

Hey, if it can't reasonably be zero, at least we can be glad someone is paying attention and limiting the number of insect parts in our food. :-D

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 10:47AM
Angeline84(2b)

I just keep telling myself that cooking or baking the flour must kill these things that are in there, right? If the answer is "no", I'd rather be ignorant about it!

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 1:06PM

Of course it does. When the bag is full of them and they fly out when you open it, most of us would rather not bake with it though. :-p

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 3:50PM
Angeline84(2b)

Oh no, if I see actual bugs it's not getting used! But the allowable feces and eggs, they'll get killed off.

But your other post was right tox, at least someone is looking out for us and getting the "extras" in there down to a reasonable level.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 4:06PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

If you really belive that "someone is looking out for us" you are very naive. The Fod And Drug Administration does not have enough inspectors out there to do the job it is mandated to do and relies on the processing companies to "do the right thing" which has been proven, numerous times in the last 25 years to fail in light of profit.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 6:50AM
Angeline84(2b)

Actually I do believe our government is looking out for us. When we have food recalls of some kind, the products tend to have originated in the US or China, not Canada.

So if you'd like to call me naive, go ahead, but I also believe that (as my grandpa always says), you have to eat 60 pounds of dirt before you die! So a SAFE amount and type of non-food stuff in my food does not bother me.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 10:19AM
blazeaglory(10 SZ22/24 OC Ca)

Yeah food recalls always happen AFTER the fact. Its like trying to fix a burnt burger...lol

Big brother only cares about control and CASH.

1 Like    Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Compost is wet and soggy. Can I use it? It's not done yet..
Hi there. My first compost is almost a year old now....
Mikkel Nielsen
Unique Problem with smell
I have what I would consider a rather unique problem...
papernpaste1
how would one add / help mycorrhizae
On another thread (very long and informative - why...
louisianagal
Hapi-gro 100% Organic Compost
Can I plant straight into this?
Elbourne
Animal Bedding Pellets for mulch?
I use white pine bedding pellets in my horse's stall....
cakbu
Sponsored Products
Zeppelin Suspension by Flos Lighting
$3,995.00 | Lumens
57" Erica Cast Iron Slipper Clawfoot Tub - Imperial Feet
Signature Hardware
Magnolia Outdoor Sconce
$330.00 | Horchow
Artemide | Reeds Outdoor Floor Lamp
$850.00 | YLighting
Julia Zig Zag Grey Dining Chairs (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Line Credenza
Design Within Reach
American Atelier White Canister Set
Classic Hostess
Lil Mo Whimsy 15 Honeycomb Gold Rectangular: 5 ft. x 7 ft. Rug
$299.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™