peach tree

brer(Zone 7)May 4, 2014

Maybe I should post this on the fruit trees place, but I'm hoping people here might know the answer.

I have a 5 year old peach tree that has never given any fruit. Last year, it had many little fruits. We took off quite a few. But then they all dropped. I don't know what caused that.

But this morning, I saw a Baltimore Oriole on the branches, just pecking away at the center of the blossoms, one after another--dozens of them. I read online that they love to suck juice out of fruits, so that set me into a panic. What should I do? Could this beautiful bird be part of the cause of my lack of peaches.

And, in the long run, I'm asking myself, which would I rather have, a Baltimore Oriole or peaches?

:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginnier

That's almost silly...of course you want peaches...You can attract an oriole with a liquid feeder on another tree or post, or put out oranges or a lil cup of jelly on a post. Give him something better than those blossoms and he'll go to them! (and bring his friends for a party!).

At least after I panicked a bit, that's how I'd react......LOL

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 2:30PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

We took off quite a few. .... What should I do? Could this beautiful bird be part of the cause of my lack of peaches.

==>>> its seems your lack of peaches.. was you picking a lot of them off???? ... why???

do try the fruit forum .... there are a multitude of reasons for crop failure ... include a harsh winter ... a frost or freeze that kills the flowers before they get pollinated ... reduced bee population.. etc ...

and perhaps even birds... but i think that reason is really stretching it ... but then i have never grown peach.. wherever you are ... with BOs around ... i can only speculate ...

ken

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 7:24AM
gardenper(8)

If you keep your tree to a certain size, you might be able to put bird netting around it. Depending on how you set that up, you might be able to save some blooms and fruits.

I wonder if one of those fake owls nearby might scare the oriole(s) away?

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 1:18PM
More Discussions
Bougainvillea in Atherton, CA?
My niece lives in Atherton, CA and wants to know if...
jacqueline9CA
Does Anyone Do Mixed Perennial Containers For The Deck/Patio?
As opposed to annuals? I've been seeing some pretty...
catkinZ8a
Looking for Dianthus 'Mrs. Sinkins'
Is anyone growing this Dianthus or know where I can...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
How can I control potted sedums from becoming groundcover?
The Ruby Mantle and Angelina grew fabulously. Now...
Esther-B, Zone 7b
NEWBIES: stay out of your garden
ALL NEWBIES .... I KNOW YOU HAVE THE FEVER.... the...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™