Frontier Twirl or Earth Song Buck Rose

picea(6A Cinci- Oh)April 23, 2010

I have an established Quietness Buck Rose that is doing great and have room for another rose. I was considering Frontier Twirl or Earth Song. Since I dont spray I was wonderig what you would recommend. I live in Cincinnati.

Thanks,

David

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimmiesgran

I got Frontier Twirl last season and it bloomed and bloomed. I don't spray either and it was very healthy. But it had major winter damage here (we got down to something like 4 degrees) I had assumed that since it was a Buck rose, it would sail through Winter but I was wrong. It is tiny now but trying to grow back. If it does that same thing next winter I am afraid it is out.

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 11:47PM
predfern(z5 Chicago)

I don't spray either. I have had many Buck roses die over the winter. Some are definitely hardier than others. This winter Quietness was hardy to the tips. Earthsong dies to the ground and takes a while to come back. I was considering Frontier Twirl but if it has that much problem in zone 7, I don't think it will survive in zone 5a. Prairie Star died over the previous winter. On the other hand, Prairie Breeze is very hardy. Honeysweet dies to the ground but comes back to about 2 feet tall. Distant Drums and Silver Shadows come back but are very small.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 12:09AM
Terry Crawford

I live in Zone 5 close by Peoria, IL. My experience with 'Earth Song' is that it is fairly tip hardy here if the winter temps don't fall below zero. I didn't have to do much pruning this spring compared to last spring when it got down to -22F for 3 days and I had to prune ES down to the ground. Even then, I find it regrows every quickly into a large shrub.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 12:35AM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

Earth Song is healthy here and a tremendous bloomer. It is one of my favorites. It is tip-hardy at 5 degrees, which is our usual winter low.

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 2:38PM
picea(6A Cinci- Oh)

That surprises me. I would have thought both would have had hardiness similar to Quietness. In my area die back would vary significantly from year to year. Thanks for the input.

David

Bookmark   April 24, 2010 at 7:25PM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

Hardiness in many cases indicates the rose will grow back if the canes are winter killed. It doesn't necessarily mean the rose is cane hardy. Many Bucks are not cane hardy in really cold climates.
Earth Song for me stayed green almost to the tips this past winter. Serendipity and Les Sjulin both died back to just a couple of inches

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 12:16AM
rainydaze(4)

Besides Quietness,the only other Buck Rose I've had experience with is Mountain Music. It has cane dieback, but comes back faithfully every year. I do mulch all of my roses with about a foot of leaves. I killed off Silver Shadows right away -- but Quietness has survived a year with no mulch at all and another year of having to be moved late in the growing season.

Mountain Music is a continual bloomer -- the only drawback is she is a japanese beetle magnet. They fly right by other roses to devour her -- so I really can't recommend her.

Bookmark   April 25, 2010 at 1:27AM
More Discussions
Heritage Rosarium?
Is this rose garden still opening for visits around...
sujiwan_gw
Rose Rosette video lecture, City of Allen, Texas
See: http://allentx.swagit.com/play/03302015-751
henry_kuska
What Should I Plant?
I need help deciding on a climber or rambler rose to...
hello459
First blooming bud of my first rose - Livin' Easy
Getting ready to show her colors
dixonticonderoga
Iceberg vs. Pope John Paul II
I am considering placing white roses near the entry...
Desertgarden- Las Vegas, Z8b @ 2800 ft.
Sponsored Products
Frontier Doc Plaque
| Dot & Bo
Pink Frontier Armchair
$82.99 | zulily
Surya Frontier Hexagon Stripe Area Rug - FT503-23
$64.80 | Hayneedle
Chocolate Frontier Armchair
$82.99 | zulily
Lime Frontier Armchair
$82.99 | zulily