Tecumseh OHV valve lash issues...

mikeinmadisonApril 26, 2012

Thanks for any help! The motor is a 24hp Tecumseh V-twin and once started, it runs great. The problem is that it is very hard to crank, despite my best efforts to get the valve lash right. (with plugs out, the starter cranks it very fast -- starter and battery are good) Can someone walk me through the process of adjusting the valves so that this compression release problem is gone? I have tinkered with the valves a lot and can't seem to get it right.

Thanks again for any help!!

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_kapaun

Sure you got the brand correct?????????

What's it on?

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 4:49PM
mikeinmadison

It's a White Outdoor GT950H. Tecumseh OV691 24hp OHV. I've followed the instructions in the manual for adjusting the valves, but it's still very hard to crank. Two starters used, new battery with lots of amps. It's very difficult to turn by hand, which is why the starter doesn't like it...

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 7:10PM
bill_kapaun

Looking in the Tecumseh BSI, it says to use the 695244A service manual.

That doesn't really mention your engine, but the OV engines mentioned are all .004" intake & exhaust with the piston TDC.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 9:11PM
mikeinmadison

Hi
I've adjusted the valves to .004 TDC on compression stroke, and one cylinder continues to prevent the starter from cranking the engine because there's too much compression. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can try before accepting that the compression release mechanism is shot. Thoughts?

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 1:54PM
bill_kapaun

There's a distinct possibility that this engine uses a centrifugal arm on the cam, instead of the ramp type CR.
The manual mentions "some" engines equipped that way. I simply don't know.

The manual is rather foggy on this. The fact your engine isn't listed even though the BSI manual refers to it for your engine???

You might try doing a web search for your engine and possibly you can find a "correct" manual.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 3:06PM
mikeinmadison

I have the manual for it, on my home computer. Is there anything else I might try before accepting that it'll have to be torn apart?

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 10:07AM
bill_kapaun

I guess the last resort is to read the manual closely on the engine reassembly procedure and see if it mentions or shows a "lever" attached to the cam shaft.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 3:34PM
bill_kapaun

I found this link for a "691" V-Twin.
It shows a mechanical release on the cam.
parts 253, 254

Here is a link that might be useful: VTX-691

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 4:14AM
mikeinmadison

Thanks Bill
Is there a test I can do to be pretty sure the compression release isn't operating properly? This motor has been tons of fun -- replaced both heads when valve guides came loose. The first one coincided with me finding a cooked mouse, so I thought that side overheated. The other side did the same thing though, and air flow around it was fine... One carb has been tempermental...
So, how much of a hassle is replacing the compression release mechanism? Time? Pain in the a$$?
Thanks!

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 1:12PM
bill_kapaun

It's a pretty major engine disassembly.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 1:15PM
More Discussions
Do "Drift Cutters" work?
Chatting with a buddy in Connecticut, he had about...
exmar
Looking at a John Deere X300 to purchase
I sold my Power Kraft (finally) after a persistent...
Alberti
old mtd lawnflite chain drive?
Hey I just bought and old riding mower and lo and bohold...
mtdlawnflite
Tractor starter-wrong rotation.
As I have been known locally as a lawn tractor fixer,...
rustyj14
Tecumseh throttle governor help?
Ssnow blower, not tractor question, but I'm hoping...
mbsl98
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™