Is Laguna a repeat bloomer?

jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.April 27, 2012

My friend has a Laguna rose. Her friends have very young Laguna�s so they don�t know if this rose is indeed a once-bloomer. Does anyone have a mature Laguna and can let us know if this is a once-bloomer or repeat bloomer�. So far her friends say their young ones only bloom once. Thank You very much for any info you can give us...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

All three of the Lagunas on HMF are hybrid teas or a climber and should be repeat bloomers. Do you know which ones your friends have?

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 9:28AM
olga_6b

Kordes Laguna climber repeats well fo me now. (4 year old) It did not repeat in its first year. Needs good watering in summer to repeat well in my experience.
Olga

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 11:01AM
cupshaped_roses(6)

I think my Kordes Laguna Climber is 5-6 years old - it repeats really well. It was a bit stingy the first year - but many climbers do take some time to build up - I am sure it will become better over the years as it grows up.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 11:19AM
mantis__oh

Summer growth can be vicious. Haven't had rebloom to speak of, but I have to keep whacking to keep it from overwhelming everything else.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 4:35PM
michaelg(7a NC Mts)

This is good to hear, since it is reputed hardy, disease resistant, and fragrant, but early reports said little repeat. If had a place for a big climber, this would be it.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 4:55PM
jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

Yes it's a climbing Laguna my friend has Seil...Thank You Olga, cupshaped roses, Mantis for your input...
Anybody else have personal experience with this rose? Thanks

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 5:18PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Um, mine are mostly once bloomers, though one of them I hacked back and it immediately put out another flush of bloom, so perhaps a slightly harder dead-heading than I have been doing is the key to rebloom. Since they are huge, a whack-back is in order anyway.

The prickles are nasty. Gloves and goggles required at all times! She likes her fertilizer generous.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 8:09PM
jumbojimmy(Australa)

Same as mine. I have Laguna for 2 years and this rose still hasn't repeat for me. Last year, I even wrapped the canes horizontally (surprisingly they are very flexible) but no sign of repeat. Hopefully by November it will do well. I find the colour to be too vibrant to my taste (I don't even like red roses) and the blooms always hang down like a fushia plant.

Bookmark   April 29, 2012 at 4:45AM
More Discussions
Which William Shakespeare Do I Have? Can WS be grown as climber?
I'm not sure which WS (Austin) I have and am wondering...
cjrosaphile
Roses and their offspring
I would like to learn more about roses that have reputations...
sara_ann-z6bok
What's wrong with my rose bush?
Can anyone please shed some light on what's wrong with...
alyong
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Earth kind roses trials in northern gardens.
This should help us northern rose gardeners. Iowa State...
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™