Weedwacker Acting Funny

mbutz13July 4, 2011

So I was using my craftsman weedwacker and it was running fine and then it started to sputter a bit. I assumed it was low on fuel so I filled it up. The occasion sputtering continued and then it died.

Here is the weird thing. I can start it up....I can rev it at a high RPM for as long as I want...but as soon as I get into the grass and it encounters the slightest amount of resistance (from the grass) it dies. I did notice that it sputtered under load.

What could cause this sudden change?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
loger_gw

Check your fuel line in the tank by dumping the fuel and see if the filter has comes off /out due to bad line. If the filter does not fall out, use wire or needle nose pliers to fish it out to examine the line. Next, remove your air filter and examine the fuel line at the carb and primer bulb. If lines are needed, Sears and Home Depot had kits for less than 4.00 (with directions on the kits, I Think, but easy). The exact one you need, "Probably" the larger in the kits will cost you 2.00 at a Small Engine Shop. jow

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 2:45PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ewalk

Sounds like your low speed circuit is restricted . Tag wire and carb cleaner along with compressed air to follow with internal passage cleaning . Also you can check the filter as loger has suggested , although since it runs well at high rpm fuel restriction on the main circuit does not apear to be the problem . Never hurts to check anyways along with the inlet prefilter (screen) within the carburator on some models .

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 6:21PM
More Discussions
Brand new chainsaw stalls - tank fuel line above gas level?
Hell all I just bought my first chainsaw: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/aw/d/B008EQ0L3I It's...
theniceguy
McCullough Pro Mac 700 has to be a professional grade saw vs a Home?
Servicing/Starting my Neighbor’s McCullough Pro Mac...
loger_gw
Disgusted with my Mantis tiller
I've had a Mantis tiller since Spring of 2005. It's...
mitchb2
Mantis Tiller purge bulb
I cannot get gasoline to come into the purge bulb....
Alice40
Building storage shed on a terraced slope
Is it safe to build a storage shed occupying two levels...
Thomas Lu
Sponsored Products
Lawton Pendant by Hudson Valley Lighting
$536.00 | Lumens
Nest Lounge and Ottoman Set in Yellow
$899.99 | Dot & Bo
Design Element DEC077A London 36-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - DEC077A
Hayneedle
Artcraft Seattle 16" Wide Chrome Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
Teardrop Side Table in Orange
$149.00 | LexMod