plant id please

diggerdeeMay 25, 2014

Sorry, no photos. :(

I was pulling weeds in a friend's garden today and saw what I thought were maple seedlings. When I got close to it to cut it down, I noticed it was more vine-like - or at least it was long-stemmed and flopped over - and it had a red bloom that reminded me somewhat of a sedum bloom - mounded, but kind of flat, and made up of small individual blooms. The head was also much looser than a sedum bloom-head - more space between the individual little blooms. It was a dusty pinkish color.

The leaves were about 3 inches in size, and looked just like maple leaves, and the bloom head was probably about the same size. Since we are getting a very late start in this garden, it's possible we had always pulled/cut this one before it bloomed.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Dee

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
NHBabs(4b-5aNH)

How about maple leaf viburnum, V. acerifolium.

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 5:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diggerdee

Hmm, nhbabs, that might be a possibility. The blooms were definitely a dusty pink, though - all the images I see online have white flowers. Is it possible to have pink blooms on this plant?

It's definitely not something she planted, but she does have a wetland and damp woods behind her house, and I have seen the white-flowered one growing in those conditions. Is there a pink-flowered (native) variety?

Thanks!
Dee

Bookmark   May 25, 2014 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Echinaceas in my Rain Garden
In a rare stroke of luck I just finished my rain garden...
northraleighguy
Whatcha' doing?
What garden related shenanigans are you guys up to? I'm...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Border Patrol Plants
Border Patrol Plants: those small, front-of-the-border...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
Plant of the Year
FWIW I see The Perennial Plant Association membership...
rouge21_gw
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™